Oil Filter Magnet for Powerstroke 6.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a Oil Filter Magnet for a Powerstroke 6.7?

Thanks.

My research has shown via various magnetic field computer simulators that the field of even very strong and impractically sized neodymium magnets gets so dulled down and diffused so as to be nearly useless.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
My research has shown via various magnetic field computer simulators that the field of even very strong and impractically sized neodymium magnets gets so dulled down and diffused so as to be nearly useless.

Are my truck's factory magnetic drainbolt, magnets in the transmission pan, magnet in the rear diff cover different? They get covered in black goop

I've been thinking about something like this http://www.filtermag.com/

Thanks SumpChump. So, the magnetic plugs, etc. have a limit to their effectiveness due to getting dulled down with stuff (especially if you extend OCIs)...thus their advantage isn't as great as one would think? Appreciate your insights...know nothing about these...the idea of it was recommended to me on here. Thanks.

Hi Donald,

Which kit did you get? How was the installation. Thanks.

I don't use the magnet that sits outside the oil filter can.

I get small 8mm diameter (5/16") N40 neodymium magnets and place them between each of the holes of the oil filter inlet. So, if you look at the oil filer threaded end and see 6 holes, I place 6 magnets, 1ea between each of the holes. There's always stuff on them, every oil change. I take them off, wipe them off with a rag, then and place them on the next filter.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump

Can you share this research?

UD

I've been using a pair of Filter Mags on my spin-on oil filter for the last 2-3 years.
See pic.

The steel shell of an auto oil filter is only .010" thick so the field of the magnets
goes right thru!

On hydraulic filters with a 400 PSI burst rating and a .030" thick steel the field is
reduced by more then half, but not an issue for automotive.

To chose a filter magnet that works:

1 - check clearance all around sides of oil filter - you need 1/2" clearance

2 - measure diameter of filter then go to the Filter Mag website and decide

3 - on the cheap, you can buy neodymium bar magnets after you decide on a size that fits.
(Leave enough room to use whatever filter cap wrench to remove filter)

4 - DON'T use a filter magnet that goes on the end of the filter, too little
flow there and catches nothing - I've tried it already!

5 - DON'T bother with oil plug magnets, not enough flow past the magnet for it
to pick up any visible material - I've tried it already!

6 - Filter Mags can be bought on Ebay, Summit Racing and other locations.

7 - I use a combo of Filter Mags and every other magnet I can jam on there!

8 - A single magnet is not enough to make a difference, I ramped up the magnets and saw better results each time.

This also applies to magnets inside the transmission oil pan, be careful though, there's not a lot of space!

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

5 - DON'T bother with oil plug magnets, not enough flow past the magnet for it
to pick up any visible material - I've tried it already!

Here's photos of the magnetic drain plug in my Tacoma after the 2nd oil change @ 5,000 miles ... it had plenty of build up. It's gone way down now after a full break-in, but still catches some material at each oil change.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Thanks SumpChump. So, the magnetic plugs, etc. have a limit to their effectiveness due to getting dulled down with stuff (especially if you extend OCIs)...thus their advantage isn't as great as one would think? Appreciate your insights...know nothing about these...the idea of it was recommended to me on here. Thanks.

The magnets work fine inside the pans or as drain bolts which stick into fluid itself BUT when stuck on outside of filters and pans they are greatly affected. Rendered basically useless. The science is amazing to see when rendered in color by computer. The field just is so so weakened when not actually inside the can/pan/fluid itself....useless.

1 - check clearance all around sides of oil filter - you need 1/2" clearance

Glad you wrote that. I can't use it on my 6.0. The oil filter is pinned up against the pan. So tight I have to use a cap wrench to twist filter on or off. I found a site that sells GM transmission magnets cheap. They are donuts that are very powerful. Thought about using 3-4 but I'm afraid they might slip off on the highway and tear my undercarriage up.

Wow, that oil plug looks bad, none of my cars with mag plugs looks like that even after 10,000 miles OCI even after years of use!

I caught all my junk with the filter mags!

magnets on the outside of transmission oil pans:

I agree they don't work well thru .030" to .050" tranny oil pans, I put extra inside the oil pan.

Wow, that oil plug looks bad, none of my cars with mag plugs looks like that even after 10,000 miles OCI even after years of use!

I caught all my junk with the filter mags!

That was during engine break-in. Way less is caught on it after 30K+ miles on the engine.

Whow...thanks for the info. A lot to think about. Take care.
I use a Gold Plug (MP02) on my PSD. There are a few photos of it in one of my oil filter posts.

Hi Donald,

Which kit did you get? How was the installation. Thanks.

I will have to look. It was on EBAY and uses the normal filter in the normal place and a bypass not far away. No drilling and parts look high quality. Amsoil spin on filter. Amsoil kit was more expensive and the mount was a generic. Under the hood is crowded and the one I got is in the same area as current filter. But I have not installed it due to being winter. Soon.

Oil filter canisters are thicker than .010", they are between about .013-.020". I can see magnetic drain plugs as there is little flow in an oil pan, but on a filter case? I would think as the magnet catches particles, when the engine is started cold, and may go into bypass, the biggest particles held on the can wall would come off and go through the bypass hole.

Thanks Donald. If you have time, please send me the link to it. Am interested in moving in that direction as well. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back