Valvoline 20W-50 Synthetic For a MC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not in an immediate need of an oil change.

But on AZ sale, picked up quarts of Valvoline Synth 20W-50, was wondering if I can mix them with Valvoline Conv 10W-40 for a Honda VFR750 or a Honda Nighthawk 750?

Can I or a bad idea? Thanks for the help
smile.gif

P.S: I have Rotella 15W40 and Delvac 15W40 gallons which are in my stash for motorcycles, but want to finish this 5 quart jug of 10W40 and these 20W-50 quarts.

Last edited:
Valvoline synthetic motorcycle 20W50 degraded within 150 miles on my bike. Terrible shift quality, to the point where I couldn't even get it into first gear. Shifts much better on Valvoline conventional motorcycle 10W40. My 2 cents.

Yes, you can mix them but I think I would question why.
A 20/50 syn will be perfectly safe to use.

Anyway, my feeling is, to answer your question of, Bad Idea?
I would say blindly blending 2 different blends of oil is blindly messing with science, meaning mixing conventional with synthetic creating your own blended semi.
But, no, its not going to hurt anything. Its all just oil, from the same company is a plus..

Thanks, I don't ride in super cold. But a blend of 10W-40 and 20W-50 would be fine for cold weather too or no?

Otherwise, I can do 1 Quart of 20w50 and remaining 10W40.

BTW, I have another quart of 10W30(high mileage) and no resource conserving laying around too, I can add to the blend too? Would that be a problem?

Last edited:
I blend 2qts-10w30 with 1qts-20w50 mc oil all the time since 1996 for my 1995 750 Virago because I change oil once a year which covers spring, summer and falls. However, I have not try none motorcycle labelled oil yet because my Virago is air cooled. If you have water cooled cycle, I would think it would be fine. I had a friend who use only car oil on his water cooled motorcycle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tundragod
I blend 2qts-10w30 with 1qts-20w50 mc oil all the time since 1996 for my 1995 750 Virago because I change oil once a year which covers spring, summer and falls. However, I have not try none motorcycle labelled oil yet because my Virago is air cooled. If you have water cooled cycle, I would think it would be fine. I had a friend who use only car oil on his water cooled motorcycle.

Thank you, so you also blend Car specific oil, correct?

Yes, crossed brand as well as viscosity. Never had any problem due to oil blends. I change oil every 6 months for cars and every year for everything else. I have a stash of 230 qts from AZ. Hoarding, no. I can't pass up free (after rebate), $1/qts, $2/qts oils. I had a 92 Lexus LS400 I sold with 300k miles that used mostly cheap oil and Quaker State oil filter. Never burn a drop of oil.

Originally Posted By: Tundragod
Yes, crossed brand as well as viscosity. Never had any problem due to oil blends. I change oil every 6 months for cars and every year for everything else. I have a stash of 230 qts from AZ. Hoarding, no. I can't pass up free (after rebate), $1/qts, $2/qts oils. I had a 92 Lexus LS400 I sold with 300k miles that used mostly cheap oil and Quaker State oil filter. Never burn a drop of oil.

Think, I'll just use it. Hopefully no ill effects!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back