Conti Etreme Contact DW or Pilot Super Sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's January, so of course I'm thinking about what goes on my 175,000 mile 07 335i once the Blizzaks come off. Currently have Pilot AS/3s, and find them to be a bit loud, and certainly a bit of a compromise being an AS tire. I've had PSSs before and they're dreamy: super quiet, amazing performance, but not really the best wearing.

Looks like I can go with Conti DWs for a couple hundred less. I'm driving about 40,000 miles/year right now so good treadwear would be nice. I'm driving so much that I'm sot of excited about what some see as a drawback with the DW: a bit mushy and soft, but able to handle larger impacts. I don't mind the tradeoff with handling since most of my miles are not very spirited - just rolling around town and to/from Chicago.

Anyone have experience with either, or both?

With your driving style.....is there a grand touring tire that would work?

Mostly pretty tame, with the occasional burst of fun. Fairly frequent high speeds. The car uses a staggered setup, which seems to limit my options a bit.

How many miles did you put on PSS? If you drive that much save some coin and go with DW it's still a summer tire so you'll retain performance but I got 28k and 24k out of my PSS sets on my WRX rotated every 5k, with a monthly autox here and there.

Originally Posted By: antonmnster
It's January, so of course I'm thinking about what goes on my 175,000 mile 07 335i once the Blizzaks come off. Currently have Pilot AS/3s, and find them to be a bit loud, and certainly a bit of a compromise being an AS tire. I've had PSSs before and they're dreamy: super quiet, amazing performance, but not really the best wearing.

Looks like I can go with Conti DWs for a couple hundred less. I'm driving about 40,000 miles/year right now so good treadwear would be nice. I'm driving so much that I'm sot of excited about what some see as a drawback with the DW: a bit mushy and soft, but able to handle larger impacts. I don't mind the tradeoff with handling since most of my miles are not very spirited - just rolling around town and to/from Chicago.

Super Sports are on a lot of very, very high performance cars. DWs are on... zero, I think? There's a reason.

One thing to keep in mind about treadwear: Don't just look at how long it takes to get to the wear bars. Also consider how the tire performs throughout its life. That's the real test. I've had Super Sports down to the wear bars and they still gripped on wet roads. My friends with M3s and M5s have worn Super Sports down to the cords, with similar results. Don't think I've heard anyone even try to say the same thing for... just about any other tire, really. So, with Super Sports, maybe you can't expect more than 30k miles -- but they'll be usable for every single one of those miles. DWs might last longer, but probably not -- and there's no way they'll retain as much performance at low tread depths.

On average, no tire company is as consistently good as Michelin on things like uniformity. Some exceptions here and there, but that's the general rule.

Cost savings shouldn't be on the map unless you absolutely cannot afford the more expensive tire. If you average out the price difference over the time you own the car, and compare it to the rest of your expenses for the car, you'll see that it's a small price to pay for a better tire.

IMO, the only real argument for the DW over the Super Sport in your case is the NVH thing. If you drive that much, maybe that'll make it a net benefit -- IF it actually pans out in practice. But I doubt it.

Is the A/S 3 really louder than the Super Sport at comparable tread depth? I'm surprised to hear that because it's the opposite of what I've heard from the aforementioned M-car-driving friends. Hard for me to say because the 335i isn't really my kind of car, but if I had one, the A/S 3 would probably be my top pick.

The Super Sport would be second, though. No question. And the DW would be... what I'd get if I couldn't get Super Sports for whatever reason.

The A/S 3 is gone, it's now the A/S 3+ which is supposed to be better in the snow. I know for the size in my car, it has a higher load rating. Some claim that makes it less likely to pop due to potholes on low profile tires. Conti's use to pop all the time, but they redid them not too long ago. Hard to say with that, if the pot hole is bad enough, it might not matter what tire you have.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Super Sports are on a lot of very, very high performance cars. DWs are on... zero, I think? There's a reason.

One thing to keep in mind about treadwear: Don't just look at how long it takes to get to the wear bars. Also consider how the tire performs throughout its life. That's the real test. I've had Super Sports down to the wear bars and they still gripped on wet roads. My friends with M3s and M5s have worn Super Sports down to the cords, with similar results. Don't think I've heard anyone even try to say the same thing for... just about any other tire, really. So, with Super Sports, maybe you can't expect more than 30k miles -- but they'll be usable for every single one of those miles. DWs might last longer, but probably not -- and there's no way they'll retain as much performance at low tread depths.

On average, no tire company is as consistently good as Michelin on things like uniformity. Some exceptions here and there, but that's the general rule.

Cost savings shouldn't be on the map unless you absolutely cannot afford the more expensive tire. If you average out the price difference over the time you own the car, and compare it to the rest of your expenses for the car, you'll see that it's a small price to pay for a better tire.

IMO, the only real argument for the DW over the Super Sport in your case is the NVH thing. If you drive that much, maybe that'll make it a net benefit -- IF it actually pans out in practice. But I doubt it.

Is the A/S 3 really louder than the Super Sport at comparable tread depth? I'm surprised to hear that because it's the opposite of what I've heard from the aforementioned M-car-driving friends. Hard for me to say because the 335i isn't really my kind of car, but if I had one, the A/S 3 would probably be my top pick.

The Super Sport would be second, though. No question. And the DW would be... what I'd get if I couldn't get Super Sports for whatever reason.

To be fair, I had my last set of PSSs on an e46 325Ci, and the AS/3 on my e90. For whatever reason, the e90 seems overall louder and harsher as a platform than the e46. (Or is it just my car?) So some of my observations are across platforms.

Very valid points, especially about the life cycle of the tire. That my biggest concern about the DW - is NVH going to increase with mileage? The PSSs I had before were totally consistent as they wore. Not sure if Conti can do that. But the AS/3s have gotten much louder as they've worn, and the trammeling has grown as bad as anything I've ever had.

I know the AS/3 reviews very well, and I'm a little surprised by my experience. I guess I was spoiled by the PSS silence.

Comparing apples and oranges here. The Continental tires you mentioned are for Dry & Wet conditions only, whereas the Michelins are for All Season use (a misnomer, but they do offer some snow and cold weather capability). The comparable Continental tire to the Michelin is their DWS6. The DWS6 is more expensive than the DW.

Do you want an All Season tire or a Summer tire? I run Continental DWS (since replaced by the DWS6) as summer tires (mid-March through mid-November) on my daily driver, and the Continental DW tires on my "Summer Use Only" convertible.

Get Michelin Pilot A/S 3+.
If you still want summer tire, PSS hands down.
I had them on VW CC, made 25K, still had 3/32, and were slicing thru water like razor.
DW? Yeah, cheaper but for a reason, and you will not get any better mileage.
Again, if you want good tire in summer and good tread wear, get Pilot A/S 3+.

What is your tire size? 225/45-17? Also, I think the DW is being discontinued or has already been discontinued.

max performance tires will not be the best in terms of treadwear. So if you don't need the max performance, consider a grand touring summer tire.
Grand Touring summer tires to consider:
Goodyear EfficientGrip
Falken Ziex ZE914 Ecorun
Michelin Primacy HP
Continental ContiPremiumContact
Hankook Ventus Prime 2 (or 3)

But as far as the max performance tires go, the Sumitomo HTR Z III is well worth considering, since it's by far the lowest price of any name-brand max performance tire. They are made in Japan. There also some good options from Vredestein

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: antonmnster

^This!

I would go with the DW for sure, Ive seen great results with them, and with money saved throw some in the repair/mod fund! Their biggest issue was sidewall bubbles, but they have a decent warranty through tire rack and will cover bubbles for 2mm of tread wear I believe. Michelin are the best tire out there IMO, but for the money you won't go wrong with DW.

Originally Posted By: Audios
I would go with the DW for sure, Ive seen great results with them, and with money saved throw some in the repair/mod fund! Their biggest issue was sidewall bubbles, but they have a decent warranty through tire rack and will cover bubbles for 2mm of tread wear I believe. Michelin are the best tire out there IMO, but for the money you won't go wrong with DW.

This.

Over at LS1Tech.com where most members don't have the $1200 for a set of PSS, the $600 Conti DW work pretty darn well. I've rarely heard a bad thing said about them. Almost all good, and that's on 300-400 hp Firebirds, Pontiacs, and Vettes, even tracked cars. I suspect they might not be as great on 450-600 hp versions. There are most surely on a LOT of high performance cars....often after the OEM tires wear out early and perform at best adequately. Don't a lot of high performance cars come right from the factory with luke warn "name brand" tires that original owners would never use again?

I like the Continental DW on my car. Hard to beat $600 for a set of quiet,comfortable, high performance tires in 275/35ZR20.

I've never had a Michelin worth the money.

I run a 225/45/18 on the front and 255/35/18 on the back. That means I can't rotate. Rears go pretty fast.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I like the Continental DW on my car. Hard to beat $600 for a set of quiet,comfortable, high performance tires in 275/35ZR20.

I've never had a Michelin worth the money.

I always had Michelin worth to the last cent, especially PSS.
There is no tire on the market with such structural integrity.
I think I might actually put them on Tiguan (I run on both cars winter tires, so no need for A/S).

In my experience, when the consensus about a product is that it works well for the money, that means you can be pretty sure it's not the best in its class.

That's the consensus about the DW.

The consensus about the Super Sport is that it's the best in its class. If you don't want to shell out for it, that's your call. The DW isn't a bad tore. But it's not as good as the Super Sport.

The Michelin is probably the better tire at the extremes, but the DW is a fine tire. We have the DW's on my Wife's 911 (replacing the Michelin's before them)and are generally happy with them. The sidewalls are a bit soft, but not terribly so, but they are quiet and overall grip is good and predictable at the limits I explored :).

Why did we get the DW's
-Summer toy, didn't need the DWS,
-Wet weather capability is key, car occasionally commutes
-I like Conti's based on prior experienvce
-Capability vs. intended use...not a track toy, this is a nice weather driver.

Ours are ~6 years old and will be replaced this year, probably with the same tires.

OP: I have lots of experience with the Conti DW, Michelin PSS (PS2s specifically), and Michelin A/S 3s.

I've put DW's on three of our cars over the last several years; my wife's W203 C-class MB toy, my wife's E90 328i M-Sport BMW toy, and my wife's Ford Focus mileage warrior commuter (45K miles/year).

The DWs worked well on the MB and BMW. FWIW, we got 20,252 miles out of the BMW rears before they wore down to the tread wear indicators. The fronts should last twice as long. Another FWIW, the DWs have very soft sidewalls which makes for a loose feeling in transient steering inputs (and I hated that).

On the Focus the DWs were an unmitigated disaster - they were intolerably noisy, even after just 5K miles. I replaced them with 7/32s of tread left!!!

Michelin PSS and PS2 are superior to the Conti DWs in every respect except wear.

Avoid the Michelin A/S 3s. They ride like they are concrete filled even when only half worn. Extremely harsh!

FWIW, I replaced the DWs on the Focus with a set of P Zero All Season Plus (with revised tread compound). As I said, the Focus is a mileage warrior but I still tend towards "high performance" rubber. Regardless, the Pirellis have greatly exceeded my expectations. They are exceptionally quiet and have very good grip for an all season tire.

Since some are suggesting the all season Michelin A/S 3s, I strongly suggest a set of the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus if you go the all season route. That is a much better tire IME than the A/S 3.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back