Frustrate with a Ford Fusion 2006 only 37000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a almost brand new 2006 Ford Fusion with only 37000, on the way back to my house I get the check engine light on, with the following codes
1)P0129 Coolant thermostat

2)P0772 Shift Solenoid E Stuck On.

Engine 2.3 L Duratec 23 I4
5-speed Mazda FNR5 automatic

I am going to take the car to the dealer, any idea what is going on ? the car ride fine, the transmission is seem fine too, the cars is low mileage.

P0129 just need a new t-stat, at least that was what happened to me in Toyota.

Not sure what the other code meant.

You may want to check the appropriate forum for Ford?
They probably are more knowledge over there.

Did you purchase it from a dealer or from a private party?
If you purchased it from a dealer, was it a reputable dealer or the local shady deals used car lot?
What did your mechanic say about it when you had them do a prepurchase inspection?

If you purchased it from a reputable dealer, you "might" be able to get them to help with it as a good will gesture (despite being sold "As Is"). If you purchased it from the local shady deals lot, you're on your own. If you purchased it from a private party, you're on your own. You can probably search for both codes and get an idea of the problems.

You might get lucky and both will be fairly simple issues.

The lady who sold it to me, she is going to pay for the repair, anyway is the ford fusion a good car ? does engine has a timing belt or a chain ? is the Mazda transmission any good ?

Fix Or Repair Daily
wink.gif

Im sorry but sounds to me you didnt do your research at all. Do some research on the codes. Google will pull up the codes for you just type them in. Your lucky she is nice enough to pay for repairs.

Doesn't surprise me. One of the worst things that can happen to a car is to sit un-driven in a none climate controlled area. When they sit, rodents move in, corrosion sets in, things that are supposed to move, wont and things that aren't supposed to move will break.

You will probably need to do maintenance on the car like it has 3 times the mileage for awhile, but once you get things sorted out it should be solid.

Originally Posted By: sirgerman
anyway is the ford fusion a good car ?
Kind of late to be asking this question, isn't it?
smile.gif

Anyway, I think in general these are relatively reliable. But if the car sat for a long time, all bets are off.

Quote:
does engine has a timing belt or a chain ?
Chain.

Those cars are quite good. But, if it only has 37000 miles in 10 years, that mean it has sat around a lot. You may end up having a lot of oddball issues from this car sitting.

Do you mean P0128 or P0129. I ask because on the Fusions, P0129 is a MAP sensor pressure error. P0128 is Coolant thermostat. Either should actually be reasonably easy to fix.

Now, the P0772 - Shift Solenoid error - This MAY be an easy fix too. In most cases, this code is not caused by faulty hardware, but rather the by trans fluid being old/contaminated. It's highly likely that the dealership never bothered to drain&fill/flush the trans fluid, and after 11 years and 37k miles, the fluid is likely to be in dire need of a refresh. You may be able to simply drain and fill the fluid, drive a bit (25-50 miles or so) and then do another drain and fill, and end up with no more P0772 code.

.. Check the trans dipstick and see what the fluid looks like. It will likely be quite dark. Another possibility is that the fluid is very low, but that will also show up on the trans dipstick.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'd rather have one with 137k miles than 37k miles

Seconded. And if that's the case, then you'd LOVE my 2010 with over 224k miles.

Motor will break whether it is used or not used.

In this case, the low mileage may be good and bad.
Seals tend to shrink for engines that are hardly used.
The flow of oil actually preserve the seals.

I know most people will not do a thorough check when buying cars with low mileage but that is a mistake.
At the least, you need to check for codes and bring it to mechanic with a lift to see the underside of the car.

Lots of stuff breaks from old age, even when the cars isn't driven. Yes, this is from personal experience. I once got a 9 year old car that has less than 19,000 miles on it when I got it.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'd rather have one with 137k miles than 37k miles

Not me. I'd have no problem buying something like that with low mileage, if everything checks out. The key is to properly check the car before buying it. I have a feeling the OP is going to end up fine.

No hard and fast rules on mileage. All depends on how and where it was driven.

Con of high mileage in California will be the state of the suspension. Our roads can be bad!

Pro here is that short trips aren't as bad thanks to the weather. But the fuel system could be gummed up.

Sitting outside vs under cover is another consideration here.

I'd rather tackle changing fluids and fuel system service than suspension work. So at that age, low mileage would have benefits. And it won't have rust.

Maybe in other states, younger but higher mileage would be a good option.

Hopefully, it was a one owner and not sitting in a salvage yard waiting for major repairs. Which is why some cars have low miles on them. Then sold by a flipper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back