Ecoboost UOA @ 40K miles, Mobil-1 at 4.9K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings. Here are the results of my first-ever UOA. The drain and capture was uneventful thanks to the Fumoto valve and a 1' hose.

Am I being told that it should be OK to go to 6K between drains?

I have a functional catch can, how is fuel getting into the oil? I thought the CC would remove it along with other vapors.

Thanks
smile.gif

2014%20F150-170111_001_zpsfmawap53.jpg

The shearing and iron caught my eye. I 'd stick with the same OCI and get another report next time you change your oil.

OP, all turbo'd and higher output engines can easily dilute your oil with fuel due to the tune using fuel as coolant during operation.

And that iron number is a bit high, isn't it. But you need far more than just one data point to conclude anything...

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Huge amount of shearing.

Why didn't you get TBN?

Wondering if Castrol Edge would help with the shearing? It claims to be more shear resistant than Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 EP, so this engine would be a good candidate for a test run.

The first year or two of the 3.5 EcoBoost was 5w-20 but then they upped it to 10w-30.

To timtrace - if you're towing with this engine, you NEED to run 91 or 93 octane. It won't have to overfuel as much to prevent detonation. You will see marginally better fuel economy and less fuel dilution.

I think they're just saying the universal averages are for a 5900 mile OCI, sounds like they want you to run the next batch about the same number of miles as this sample.
Seems to me like all the additives are reading a bit low...calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, and moly all look lower than I'd expect for M1 5W30. The low flashpoint and viscosities also suggest to me that there might be more fuel dilution than they claim...???

I would NEVER run 5W20 in this engine especially if I towed and actually worked it! Sorry but CAFE and common sense don't mix.

Its a twin turbo motor, you should consider nothing but Premium fuel in this truck and nothing less than a 5W30. Oh and the Mobil 1 is why your iron is so high... known fact that M1 causes high iron numbers and probably the rest is wear from a not-so-great oil
28.gif

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Edit: I meant 5w-30, not 10w-30!

I'm thinking 10W30 would be a better choice for the warmer months.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds

.... Mobil 1 is why your iron is so high... known fact that M1 causes high iron numbers and probably the rest is wear from a not-so-great oil
28.gif

I had the same thought, but until and without another UOA or two with another run of M1 and other oils we cannot be sure.

How is fuel mileage? Wonder if you have high misfire count. I guess low tension rings and turbo = high fuel dilution. You getting engine hot enoughfor 20-40 mins at least a couple times a week?

Run a ACEA A3,B4 Mb229.5 Porsche C30 approval. M1 5w30 is not a synthetic oil. Don't mess around.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Seems to me like all the additives are reading a bit low...calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, and moly all look lower than I'd expect for M1 5W30. The low flashpoint and viscosities also suggest to me that there might be more fuel dilution than they claim...???

Saw that too. Something is off here. Settling in bottles (not shook up)? A quality control mixing problem at Exxon-Mobil, meaning they didn't put enough in? Low ZDDP might explain the high Fe wear numbers.
And, if VII was low too, like the other stuff in the DI package, then that also might explain the low viscosity, since the base oil by itself is on the thin side at KV100, relying on VII polymers to thicken it up hot to make a -30 weight.

Certainly since all the additives look low across the board (detergents low, ZDDP low, moly low....) it does indicate it never was there or settled in the bottle.

Those low levels of additives suggest a lot more than just some settling in the bottle, especially with the viscosity being quite low too. Viscosity can't "settle" out. I'd move up to a strong 30 grade next time, such as Castrol Edge 0w-30 or even one of the weaker 0w-40's (Castrol, M1, Pennz Ultra SRT, etc.). If you didn't personally add this oil it's possible that something other than M1 5w-30 was added....or it was just a weak/incorrect batch of oil right from Mobil.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Those low levels of additives suggest a lot more than just some settling in the bottle, especially with the viscosity being quite low too. Viscosity can't "settle" out. I'd move up to a strong 30 grade next time, such as Castrol Edge 0w-30 or even one of the weaker 0w-40's (Castrol, M1, Pennz Ultra SRT, etc.). If you didn't personally add this oil it's possible that something other than M1 5w-30 was added....or it was just a weak/incorrect batch of oil right from Mobil.

It can if the VII's settle out, since its the VII that brings the KV100 viscosity all the way up to be a xw-30 grade hot.
I'd agree the VII polymers usually stay in solution, while detergents and ZDDP are usually the ones to settle to the bottom.
The VII's have high molecular weight, so just maybe they did.
Just as likely Exxon-Mobil had a bad batch with low DI.
I like the theory that a substitute sub-standard oil was put in to begin with.

Or most likely another erroneous UOA. We've seen it multiple times on here and it often has to do with the viscosity measurement. Blackstone has no idea really how much fuel is in that sample.

I'd be a lot more inclined to assume this rather than a "bad batch" from ExxonMobil or some kind of massive settling out of additives.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

Aren't the additives depleted as the oil is in use, and one of the reasons why we change oil? There's always the possibility the report was screwed up, but additives do get used up during the life of the oil. The harder an engine is on oil they quicker the add pack will get used up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back