Valvoline crimson

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I let my father in law barrow my grease gun with valvoline synpower in it... Plan was to not get it back a replace with a Lincoln. Well menards has a tool shop grease gun for half off today so I scooped it up. Grabbed a tube of valvoline crimson while I was at it.

I have heard much good about this grease, though I'm hesitant to use a non molybdenum grease. Uses are mostly tie rods, some ball joints and occasionally a disc or trailer wheel bearing.

I'm 100% sure crimson is adequate but does Anybody think the synpower was providing any real benefit for the cost? Moly content plus a wide operating temp due to synthetic base oil... But does that even matter?

Probably not. I don't know about you but I find synpower to be a little bit dry and not very tacky. It isn't very washout resistant and doesn't seem like it has very good film strength. I switched back to mystik jt-6 hi temp and I like it much better. The good news is that unless you are flushing out whatever you greased with the synpower, there will be some moly left behind for a while.

The Crimson has a good extreme pressure package of additives. It is an older technology, but very good for the applications you noted. The SynPower "should" out perform it on high pressure sliding surface applications, but I doubt any difference you would write home about.

prs

Originally Posted By: prs
The Crimson has a good extreme pressure package of additives. It is an older technology, but very good for the applications you noted. The SynPower "should" out perform it on high pressure sliding surface applications, but I doubt any difference you would write home about.

prs

Thats very good to hear... Are you able to expand that at all, though? Inquiring minds and all....

I actually find it interesting that the water wash out is only 5%. Thats half of cerulean, less than some marine greases and only slightly here than super lubes 3%.

Originally Posted By: buck91
I actually find it interesting that the water wash out is only 5%. Thats half of cerulean, less than some marine greases and only slightly here than super lubes 3%.

Good catch. Those numbers for the Cerulean almost seem like a mistake. Lots of common greases are at 5 and below. The Mystic JT-6 High temp grease has a water washout of only 2.5% and a Timken OK load of 80
crazy2.gif
, way out of the "average" numbers.

Who knows what to believe??? I use this grease shown in the link below at my workplace. Reading the label, one would think that it is aluminum or calcium based (high water resistance). Guess what - it is a lithium based grease. This throws out all our internet education telling us lithium grease is less water resistant.

aquashie...g

I wish we had more discussions of grease here, but these threads always seem to fizzle out.

Take care.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: buck91

Good catch. Those numbers for the Cerulean almost seem like a mistake. Lots of common greases are at 5 and below. The Mystic JT-6 High temp grease has a water washout of only 2.5% and a Timken OK load of 80
crazy2.gif
, way out of the "average" numbers.

Who knows what to believe??? I use this grease shown in the link below at my workplace. Reading the label, one would think that it is aluminum or calcium based (high water resistance). Guess what - it is a lithium based grease. This throws out all our internet education telling us lithium grease is less water resistant.

aquashie...g

I wish we had more discussions of grease here, but these threads always seem to fizzle out.

Take care.

I've used the aqua shield grease on polyurethane bushings with excellent results. What are you guys using it for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back