Wiper Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.
09 Tundra.

I have within the last 6 months replaced my wipers with no the cheapest brand at NAPA.

I suspect the driver side wiper is too long, they simple took off old and measured and replaced it but looks too long on the windshield.

So my question is how do I reduce the chatter?

Is it on the up stroke?

Get out an adjustable wrench and clamp it on the metal wiper arm close to the blade. Then bend it so the wiper sits straight on it. It has probably slightly bent over the years with the last stroke of the wiper going down, twisting it slightly.

I just did this to my Jeep, worked like a charm.

Why didn't they just look up the right size?

You can try cleaning the wipers, use windshield washer fluid with a rag to wipe them down. Then use isopropyl alcohol with the final wipe.

ALWAYS buy the OE Toyota refills that are like $12 for both, don't chatter, and easily last 3 years. I've done that with my last 3 Camry's after such bad luck with overpriced aftermarket blades. Just did the same on my Chevy truck for the same reason, although not refills so it was $32.

Last edited:
Try getting the gunk off your windshield with a clay bar. Don't use one which has car wax in it from use on a finish. I find RainX washer fluid helps.

Wolf359 said:
Why didn't they just look up the right size?

They need to be able to read
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Is it on the up stroke?

Get out an adjustable wrench and clamp it on the metal wiper arm close to the blade. Then bend it so the wiper sits straight on it. It has probably slightly bent over the years with the last stroke of the wiper going down, twisting it slightly.

+1 It works.

When it comes to Toyota you have to get the real Toyota wiper. I had the same problem with my Avalon. The dealer put on a cheaper non-Toyota wiper. I went back and insisted on the official Toyota wiper. They were expensive, I think $50 maybe more, I cannot remember. But no more chatter.

buy better wipers or at least squeegees?

Its stupid to replace the entire wiper - new squeegees are more cost effective.

I prefer PIAA wipers where they fit. They last much longer than standard rubber inserts.

There are also DIYs for twisting the arms a bit, which may help...

Originally Posted By: tig1
Is it on the up stroke?

+1 It works.

+2 I drove myself nuts cleaning, using a clay bar, and wasting money on a set of replacement blades. A two minute adjustment did the trick for me. If all else fails try it.

+1 on twist. Also Clean your windshield then Try the orange rainx wiper fluid. That calms my wipers down a lot. Seems slicker.

Not all wipers will work right on some cars. I personally use Denso(reboxed NWB), Valeo or Trico - all OEM suppliers. Some glass treatments can cause chatter - I know Aquapel will cause wipers to be chatty for a bit until it "smooths" out.

I used to use Bosch - but they used to be made in Belgium and the Micro Edge design was refillable. Now, it's all made in China. I have a set of their beam blades - only because they were on a 2 for 1 deal at O'Reilly.

Last edited:
Is it on the up stroke?

This! Wiper should be at 90 degree angle to windshield.

Scott

The oem Honda inserts last an incredibly long time. I only had to replace the wipers on a 10 yr old Accord with 166k miles one time. I was hoping the Toyota ones would be similar, not quite.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The oem Honda inserts last an incredibly long time. I only had to replace the wipers on a 10 yr old Accord with 166k miles one time. I was hoping the Toyota ones would be similar, not quite.

Really? I was going to say that compared to the PIAA wipers I've used on my previous vehicles, these Honda squeegees on our two cars seem to not be as good.
Maybe I need to give them a good wiping with alcohol.

Yes, unless they've been changed recently. Some others commented on how good they are. All I used to do was wipe them with alcohol periodically. Here are some other comments that I found:

Originally Posted By: Markus;4727993
I've used the reflex wipers on other cars and yet I find that an annual replacement of Honda OEM wiper blade inserts to be better the reflex wipers. Just offering another point of view.

Originally Posted By: 08EX-L;4728009
Agreed. I buy the inserts every 3 years. Can't argue with $11 installed.

I use OEM Toyota inserts on a 2001 RX300. Amazing how well they work. Would not even consider after market ones on a Toyota.

My blades are not refillable. I tried Trico Neoform blades but the passenger side didn't wipe well. Went back to Toyota OEM and they work perfectly. Expensive, maybe, but cheap non-working blades aren't a bargain.

Originally Posted By: ffhdriver
My blades are not refillable. I tried Trico Neoform blades but the passenger side didn't wipe well. Went back to Toyota OEM and they work perfectly. Expensive, maybe, but cheap non-working blades aren't a bargain.

If you are running the Toyota OEM hybrid style wiper blades on the 2013 Avalon, they are refillable. Toyota sells just the wiper refill for both the passenger and driver's side. Driver's side insert is Toyota part # 852140T050, Passenger side is part # 8521406100.

The dealer would rather sell you $60 worth of full blade assemblies than $14 worth of wiper inserts. The metal spine from the old inserts goes into the new ones, and the inserts slide easily into the frame.

I just did this for my parents on their 2013 Toyota Highlander. Bought the Toyota wiper inserts online for $14 total and swapped them out. Took less than 10 minutes to do both blades.

Originally Posted By: ryster
Originally Posted By: ffhdriver

If you are running the Toyota OEM hybrid style wiper blades on the 2013 Avalon, they are refillable. Toyota sells just the wiper refill for both the passenger and driver's side. Driver's side insert is Toyota part # 852140T050, Passenger side is part # 8521406100.

The dealer would rather sell you $60 worth of full blade assemblies than $14 worth of wiper inserts. The metal spine from the old inserts goes into the new ones, and the inserts slide easily into the frame.

I just did this for my parents on their 2013 Toyota Highlander. Bought the Toyota wiper inserts online for $14 total and swapped them out. Took less than 10 minutes to do both blades.
Thanks for the info,but my OEM blades are the beam type which aren't refillable. I of course could change to the kind you mention.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back