Pep Boys Computer has bad oil data

Status
Not open for further replies.
They always overfill my Civic and Insight Hybrids. I talked to them once and the mechanic said, "My computer says 4 quarts." (Or 3 quarts for the insight.) I point to the manual which says 3.3 and 2.5 respectively. The mechanic just gives me a blank look & points to his computer.

---> I would love to know who at Pep Boys Central types this data into their computer & why they round-up to a whole number 4 or 3 instead of using 3.3 or 2.5.

I wonder how many other cars say (for example) 5.5 quarts and yet the PB computer says "6"

Many times the number in the owners manual does not include the filter. Being a little over is safer then low. So could be that's why its like that as well. Many do not check their oil so if the oil light comes on they blame the shop, not themselves for not checking the oil level enough.

there are times when the owners manual is a misprint too or wrong and the data gets corrected by a service bulletin.
I would tend to that the electronic version is more up to date.

go to amsoil.com. see what they say your oil change capacities are supposed to be. my guess is its the same number as pb.

nobody at pepboys types this in. it's sucked through a service from some more reputable datasource so I wouldn't just single out pb.

Last edited:
Simple solution-just do it yourself. It's about as easy a DIY maintenance item as you can come up with. Then you don't have to fret over someone adding a little extra oil.

Last time I visited a Honda dealer, and they filled my Civic 3.3 per the manual. Even handed-back the remaining oil in a quart bottle. So Pep Boys is definitely overfilling at 4.

I guess their computer system is sooooo old it cannot handle anything but whole numbers.

Advance's system said that the CVTs in Ions and VUEs took Dex VI. I put a notice in the discrepancy tracker and, lo and behold, it was fixed within a couple of days. I know it couldn't possibly have been just my report but that made me feel all tingly and important for a few minutes.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
... it's sucked through a service from some more reputable datasource so I wouldn't just single out pb.
Maybe so, but typical "reputable datasources" tend to be wrong frequently. All the stores and books persisted in recommending an incorrect battery "Group" size (24C instead of 24F it should've been) for my Mazda for over 30 years from the time the model was new, and never corrected the error.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I'm wondering if their computer can only store one digit as the number of quarts of oil.

It's been that way since at least the year '3.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back