Routine tire rotation - directions not followed

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^According to tire rack and many other sources you've got that backwards.

tire_rotation_abc.jpg

To topic, while I understand the principle of the matter and frustration, I'm doubtful in the end it will make a significant difference in treadwear. Best 'IMO' to chalk it up to experience and stuff happens, this time.

Speaking of chalk, Discount Tire stores in this area chalk the tread of each tire with a number prior to rotating, 1-4 indicating the desired final position of the tire. Each corner having a set number system wide I assume. Not to say that they can't or don't make an error on rotations from time to time, just none that I've had to my knowledge. I always tell them for the service order write up that goes in shop service pouch how I would like them rotated. And DT has no issues with one watching as they rotate and balance. In fact I also check my brake pads during the process.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
^^^^According to tire rack and many other sources you've got that backwards.

tire_rotation_abc.jpg

All I can do is go by my 2002 Lincoln owner's manual which clearly shows the front's being X'd to the rear. I can't say why they chose it, only that they did. One thought is that their diagram is against convention and shows the car facing "south." I doubt that's the case. And to confuse things more, my 1997 FWD Lincoln owner's manual shows a standard left side only / right side only rotation. Something must have changed with the wearing of their tires to make a change by 2002 to a crossing pattern.

Some sources do show a FWD rear cross pattern

Looking at the online Ford/Lincoln owner's manuals for widetrax replied signature vehicles, they are as shown by the TR diagram. X'ed up(forward) for the FWD or AWD MKZ and X'ed back(rearward) for the FX4 RWD or 4WD.

Alternatively, I've seen just plain front to back/ back to front same side for any of them at some point.

The 02 Lincoln FWD xing to rear in the OM is somewhat unique, IME.

But bottom line as CapriRacer recently posted on the topic of rotation, the most important thing is getting them rotated, pattern is secondary. Of course this being bitog, the secondary is very close to or same as primary for many. My .02

Rotating tires is almost unheard of in the UK nowadays, although it was a regular part of routine maintenance back in the days of bias ply tires.
If I see a tire is wearing uneenly I address the alignment issue causing the problem. Far more important imo is checking your tires are correctly inflated.

Claud.

I would agree tire rotation is rare in the UK. I think the predominance of front wheel drive has something to do with that as when the rears are not doing the driving they tend to wear evenly and with the fronts doing the driving they don't just wear at the edges.

As for rear wheel drive, I just checked my C Class Mercedes handbook and there is no mention of rotation. They used to recommend it though as I ran a 190e for 21 years and many sets of tires. At the specified pressures the rears always wore in the centre and fronts at the edges so rotation was essential to get the best life out of them. I've rotated them on my newer C class but kept rotational direct the same.

Every time I go in for a rotation, they do it side-to-side (I don't have directional tires). Despite my Pilot being 4WD, not even the dealer follows the cross pattern from the manual. I don't even care anymore.

I usually measure the tire depth and move the two with the most depth to the front of the vehicle. It also gives me a chance to give a good inspection of the tires. I will check it out every 6-8 months and rotate if necessasry

At the Ford Quick Lane the advisor confirmed with me the direction and he had it backwards. He drew a diagram. I was happy that he clarified it with me first to get it right. Plus they don't upsell like the Toyo dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back