Mail order eyeglasses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

Experiences on this? Between my wife, one of my kids and myself, it's getting tough to support $300-400 dollars every time one of us needs new glasses and that's with my VSP benefit through work applied. I'm getting pretty familiar with tweaking frames, eye pads and temple arms at home with my son's glasses. Luckily my current frames have my sizes stamped right on them, so ordering should be easy, it's just I'm not sure what I'm up for in terms of fitting, quality, etc. Prices by mail order are like $100 vs. $300-400.

I have never used this website. However, many on our community Facebook page have, and have given it good reviews.

You can upload a picture and virtually try them on.

http://www.zennioptical.com/

I need a new pair and am deciding between the website and CostCo. CostCo would be around $300.00. I could probably get two pair on the website for the same amount.

Last edited:
I believe Walmart has cheap glasses too? I have not priced them.

I have used zenni, and got laughed at, as they looked good online, but were rather small sized in reality. Still: I paid like $20 per pair. Hard to beat. I figured, at that price I could afford to throw out a pair once in a while, if I picked the wrong frame size.

Still: when my prescription changed recently, I did buy the $300 local glasses. Push come to shove, "support local" and all. But at some point I'll mailorder another set. My zennis went something like 3+ years of daily wearing. They might have been cheap but they lasted longer than my prescription, so in a sense they were right-costed.

https://www.warbyparker.com/

Ordered mine here; excellent website, top-notch glasses quality, and really good pricing. Very happy with the process from start to finish. Their free home try-on (five frames, with shipping covered both ways) sealed the deal.

I prefer to purchase higher quality from a local provider.

A few years ago (it's probably been 20 years or more) I purchased top quality frames locally; at that time they were just over $100 for just the frames, which was pretty expensive.

I still have the frames and they are still like new. I've gone through at least 6 or 7 sets of lenses in them-before I had LASIK I had fairly thick lenses; about a year after the LASIK my eye doctor prescribed lenses to tweak my long distance vision to better than 20/20, and I brought out those frames and had the lenses put in them.

I prefer to stick with higher quality, especially when it comes to my eyewear.

I've had good luck with eyebuydirect.com and 39dollarglasses.com but you generally have to know your sizing and what looks good on you. WalMart can be good for that....

Ramble, thanks for posting the link to warbyparker...they seem to be a little more flexible than the standard online eyeglass shops with their policies. It looks like you pay more but it might be worth it if there are questions about fit, sizing, design, etc. after you get them.

I think I've been wearing the same pair of glasses for the past 5-6 years.

Of course, most days, I'm wearing my 30 day/night contact lenses so I can wake up and see. But probably one or two days a month I take them out to give my eyes a break. I can go 2 weeks easily with my lenses in, and 3 most months before I need to remove them and clean them overnight.

Been wearing the same prescription for a long time now. It may change a .25 diopter one year and then change back.

Same contact prescription for both eyes as well....

I got a good quality frame and lenses and they have served me well for the duration.

After ESP and rebates, my contacts for the year are $37.

I just had my annual exam yesterday....

Originally Posted By: CKN
I have never used this website. However, many on our community Facebook page have, and have given it good reviews.

You can upload a picture and virtually try them on.

http://www.zennioptical.com/

I need a new pair and am deciding between the website and CostCo. CostCo would be around $300.00. I could probably get two pair on the website for the same amount.

I have used zenni for the last 10 years. I keep coming back for the $50 glasses once all the options are picked.

I'm wearing glasses from Zenni right now. They have been just as good as the stuff I paid 3 times as much for. I have also used www.coastal.com and been pleased with their glasses as well. I would have used coastal again but they didn't have some of the options my RX required.

I have used at least two mail order eyeglass sites. Last was www.goggles4u.com. If you have an eyeglass exam script within the last two years, you can save a significant amount of money. Frame prices are in different tiers. Lenses are priced based on one/bifocal/ trifocal and well as tint and anti-glare. Specials throughout the year by email are abundant. You will need to know the combined measurement from the center of the nose to the center of the pupil. PID #. Mine is 63. Sometimes your script will say it on it. If you don't even have a copy of your eyeglass script, ask for it when you get an exam. Quite sure they are required to give it to you on request.

I gave up on these local shops and their prices awhile back. Even with an insurance plan, they were into my wallet quite deep. Knew then that those fashionable Elton John glasses with the wipers were priced out of even asking "how much in leopard tone"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
Experiences on this? I'm getting pretty familiar with tweaking frames, eye pads and temple arms at home with my son's glasses.

When I need my glasses tweaked, I take them into Target Optical, WalMart Optical, BJs Warehouse Optical, and the like where they do it for free. Most do as a service for the public I guess in lieu of a tentative future purchase. I've even had them provide new protective cases without asking. Go figure.

I have a couple of pairs of the $9 frames from Zenni. Work fine for me, just have to be particular about the frame design since the pictures don't really give you any aspect ratio, I didn't find the online tool helpful at least.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I prefer to purchase higher quality from a local provider.

Zenni has several high index choices (high indices?) and they give numbers.

Local optician just calls them arbitrarily high.

My eye doctor tried selling me a subscription exam package that also included $100 off his glasses. "Well how much are these" I ask in the waiting room. "Those?" Turns out they were all $100+ overpriced.

Went with Zenni.

If your prescription's been the same since forever they'll still cover you even if you're over the two-year mark.

and that's with my VSP benefit through work applied.

I just got my glasses thru Costco using my VSP benefits...

Progressive Seamless Bifocals
Standard Frame with Turbo Flex hinges (4 way movement)
"Hi Def Progressive" Lens
Polarized
"Transitions" PhotoChromatic Auto Darkening
Blue Blocker Anti Reflective Upgrade

$64 out the door after VSP

Originally Posted By: Spartanfool

Polarized

Thanks for sharing but those of us on here don't have VSP or we wouldn't be concerned about cost. You may want to share what the cost was before VSP.

I get my glasses from the VA for free, but my wife gets glasses from either Zennie or the last ones werefrom Eyebuydirect. She has been very happy with either.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Spartanfool

Polarized

Thanks for sharing but those of us on here don't have VSP or we wouldn't be concerned about cost. You may want to share what the cost was before VSP.

JTK stated that he was unhappy with paying $300-400 even after his VSP insurance. I posted a response directly at his concern. Like him, I was unhappy with what I was paying at my local eye doctor. I found a low cost alternative at Costco. $64 was a steal for me. I shared that info with him. I hope he finds it useful.

In response to your question...I picked a $59.99 frame that probably 25% of their frames cost. Some cheaper, some more. Costco lenses with whatever bells and whistles you want, cost $159.99. $219.98 total for anyone without insurance.

And in response to a point you made....I have ordered the $9.99 Zenni glasses as well. Not a great product, but good enough to throw in the car as a backup pair. I wouldn't trust it to be my every single day wear pair, but worth what you are paying.

Hope you found this useful...

I've used Zenni several times over the years. It's been hit and miss as far as the optical quality goes. Be prepared to send it back if it's not quite right. The fitting of lense onto the frame has been good with no complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back