Deka batteries = good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 12V "boot" battery in my parent's Prius failed this past weekend - it was a Optima that was almost 5 years old, made in Mexico and I saw a negative terminal leak. I picked up an O'Reilly-branded Deka Intimidator, I think I've read good things about Deka but how are they regarded here? O'Reilly also carried the Optima, but I was meh on that.

The OEM Yuasa battery lived for 3.5 years(from the date the car was built to the day I yanked the original battery). I had the option of getting another Yuasa from the dealer.

Its OK.

Deka is a standard East Penn manufacturing product.

Not really anything diff from other East Penn brands.

UD

Deka is what many of us Harley riders use - and refuse to use anything else.
Nothing else holds up as well.

DEKA is the OEM supplier for Harley, by the way.

Looks I can sleep well and not have to worry about my parents calling me because of a ticking JCI timebomb.

And I think Deka is also the OEM supplier for Mercedes in Alabama too.

I usually get a Truestart from the dealer. They now have the Prius 12v battery in the Truestart program, so it qualifies for the better warranty.

How much did you pay for the Deka?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I usually get a Truestart from the dealer. They now have the Prius 12v battery in the Truestart program, so it qualifies for the better warranty.

How much did you pay for the Deka?

$180.

The TrueStart does have a 84-month warranty, but only 24 month free replacement. The SuperStart Extreme has 3-year free replacement but no proration.

I never heard a negative word about Deka Batteries, which are made in PA by East Penn Manufacturing. But I only had one on my garden tractor.

A bit of trivia: in 2015 or so the female CEO of East Penn was killed when she was struck by a car while jogging or cycling.

Deka was a favorite of the diesel crowd for years.
A very picky and informed group of battery consumers I might add. Nobody likes to say their diesel wouldn't start. Was kind of like a ribbon of failure as an owner.
Deka - good choice.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Deka is top of among the most common three (Deka/East Penn, Johnson Control, and Exide)

When did they become that big? I remember when the big three were JCI, Exide, and Delco. Heck - I once saw a Delco battery as the OEM battery in a Honda. I bought an ACDelco battery as a replacement for my Integra, although I think it was after GM spun of Delphi, which made the batteries.

I guess the history is kind of hazy with all the spinoffs GM had over the years.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Heck - I once saw a Delco battery as the OEM battery in a Honda.

Honda had a fixation on Delco batteries for their US-made cars, Toyota also used them because NUMMI was a GM facility. The Camry and Sienna got Exides for some weird reason.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Heck - I once saw a Delco battery as the OEM battery in a Honda.

Honda had a fixation on Delco batteries for their US-made cars, Toyota also used them because NUMMI was a GM facility. The Camry and Sienna got Exides for some weird reason.

These days I mostly see rather plain looking battery labels from the factory. The factory battery on my wife's Civic was from JCI, but it has a label that looks like it was designed with a word processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back