Ford is launching a new parts brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. I wonder if it is meant to compete with independents. I mean, first they buy parts on the cheap, then they open up service centers geared towards "every" make. Seems to me that they could angle it as "we are a dealership, so of course our techs are highly trained, and we're using these awesome parts that we sourced--we're your best bet for quality repairs once the warranty for you car expires".

They should have kept using the Motorcraft name, it was already known to everyone. The initial order process was cumbersome with a lot of smoke and mirrors. They just gave lists of suggest part numbers with no applications.

Dumb name but it makes sense.

My van pool operator thought he couldn't take his chevy van to a ford dealer for a state inspection because ?????

And divorcing the names makes you think they won't take a "wrong" ford part and adapt/hammer it to fit another make.

If someone irrationally hates Ford and anything to do with them but the only garage in their small town is a ford dealer, this might give them hope that they'll get quality aftermarket parts.

The last place I'd go is to a Ford dealer to fix a GM, Chrysler, or any of the others. Some of these dealers have a hard enough time fixing their own brand, now suddenly they can service them all. No thanks.

The problem with this name is that it is extremely forgettable. It has no 'pop' to it. Granted, Motorcraft didn't have the biggest pop either, but at least it is straightforward and memorable. Omnicraft sounds like something out of a Robocop movie.

That said, I'd be willing to give their parts a try next time I need something they make.

... I'll buy that for a dollar.

Perhaps it will offer a price advantage. Currently, the dealers in our town use a lot of Napa stuff, or Sturdevant's auto parts. The parts get marked way up. You pay more than what you could go to the parts store and buy them yourself. The dealer buys them for less, and often sells them for more than Napa retail price. Could be a win for the consumer. Plus, parts AND labor warranty.

I put some ACDelco brake rotors (from Amazon) on the Subaru Outback a few weeks back.

It was likely the very same "Made in China" brake rotor that is sold by everyone else.

ACDelco is doing it, so why not Ford?

Omni Consumer Products!

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
The problem with this name is that it is extremely forgettable. It has no 'pop' to it. Granted, Motorcraft didn't have the biggest pop either, but at least it is straightforward and memorable. Omnicraft sounds like something out of a Robocop movie.

That said, I'd be willing to give their parts a try next time I need something they make.

... I'll buy that for a dollar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back