Molykote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: IgorFeghali
i have heard many reports of people who ran dozens of kilometers after a oil spill without a single drop of oil in the engine and no harm was done due to the emergency lubrication property of molykote. according to them molykote is still sticked to the metal even after you drain all the engine oil.

I find it interesting that there are many people who run their car for dozens of kilometers after losing their oil charge.
I further find it interesting that so many of them had the foresight to treat their engine with Molykote.
I mean... really... what are the chances of that!! How can we have a select class of people who are so dumb, yet so smart at the same time?

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Originally Posted By: IgorFeghali
i have heard many reports of people who ran dozens of kilometers after a oil spill without a single drop of oil in the engine and no harm was done due to the emergency lubrication property of molykote. according to them molykote is still stuck to the metal even after you drain all the engine oil.

I find it interesting that there are many people who run their car for dozens of kilometers after losing their oil charge. I further find it interesting that so many of them had the foresight to treat their engine with Molykote. I mean... really... what are the chances of that!! How can we have a select class of people who are so dumb, yet so smart at the same time?

It depends on how you go into this. It's fairly odd to lose your oil totally. It happens but it's hardly a daily occurrence, or even a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence. But if you do, your engine will probably seize and there will be no happy ending. A more likely situation would be driving a car which is using oil (leaks, past the rings, whatever), forgetting to check the oil, and discovering that your sump is dangerously low - so low as to trigger the oil pressure light.

If you are using MoS2 in your oil and you should lose your oil or let your sump run low, then the MoS2 will give you a short window of protection. You can land you plane under power. This quality alone is probably not a valid reason to use MoS2 (unless you're really flying a WWII fighter plane) - to do so would be akin to buying insurance against a meteorite hitting your roof.

My first reaction was to question the "many reports" part of the original statement. But, I note the poster was from Brazil and he may well have been referring to VW beetles. There are a zillion beetles in Brazil, many of which are probably held together with baling wire. Production of the VW air-cooled engine continued in Brazil through 2006; production of the Type 1 vehicle (the beetle) ended around 2002. VW of Brazil may very well recommend MoS2 as an oil additive so there could be a sizable user base of MoS2 in that country. Dow Corning is selling their Molykote product in Brazil for some reason - most likely because someone is buying it.

Final thought: regardless of how you read the original statement, the presence of MoS2 in the engine oil will probably do this task: prevent immediate catastrophic engine failure upon loss of oil pressure. Whether that protection is good for 10 kilometers or 20 is a matter of further debate. MoS2 will also make the engine run cooler - why VW originally prescribed it for air-cooled engines. MoS2 will probably reduce oil consumption past the rings. This may be another reason it is popular among Brazilian beetle users who are fond of baling wire fixes.

Originally Posted By: dave5358
My first reaction was to question the "many reports" part of the original statement. But, I note the poster was from Brazil and he may well have been referring to VW beetles. There are a zillion beetles in Brazil, many of which are probably held together with baling wire. Production of the VW air-cooled engine continued in Brazil through 2006; production of the Type 1 vehicle (the beetle) ended around 2002. VW of Brazil may very well recommend MoS2 as an oil additive so there could be a sizable user base of MoS2 in that country. Dow Corning is selling their Molykote product in Brazil for some reason - most likely because someone is buying it.

Ok, that conversation is taking an entirely different direction. Please allow me to clear things up and then move back to the topic.

First of all, my original statement has absolutely nothing to do with VWs bettles. Yes, it is true that we have lots of then around, but should I remind you we also have Golf MK7 selling like bananas - which by the way is NOT available in the USA as far as I am concerned ?

The fact that we produced VW beetles for so long is just a funny fact, NOT a proof that everyone in Brazil is driving one of them. It doesn't either tell us nothing about the average Brazilian buying power. Reducing the whole Brazilian market to the single fact that we make a car from the last century just make one naive.

Regarding all the other questions raised about whether it is feasible to drain all the oil or not, I would like to clarify that Brazilians buy the most expansible vehicles in the world [1] but we are left with the worst roads.

Picture the following scenario:

1) imagine it is common to have pot holes on your streets
2) it is also as frequent to have loose bricks all over the place on streets that are not paved
3) now imagine that all the bigger auto makers do not ship vehicles with carter protector anymore due to security concerns
4) not to say the insane amount of speed bumps that have not been repainted for many years

Given that, it is not very hard to accept that we have here a recipe for disaster.

Now let's put aside all politics, economics, history etc. and get back to the topic. Let's also forget about beverages and the likes. The real question is, why the heck is MoS2 in the shape of a consumer oil additive sold only in one or two countries ? Is it a sign that we are too smart, or too dumb ?

Whatever the answer is, I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with a particular maker or car model.

[1] http://www.automotiveworld.com/analysis/...expensive-cars/

Originally Posted By: Lapithes
An abundance of conjecture, and zero proof. I think I'm sensing a trend when it comes to oil additives.

I would say that is true for both parties: the ones who believe in oil additives and the ones who don't
smile.gif

There was an earlier post that asked "why can't you buy oil with this in it?". The material that does the magic is the Moly (MoS2). It is found in commercial oils.

But, I have ranted on about this is several threads, Tungsten Disulphide (WS2) works better. It is now becoming available in the market place. It is in oil (Millers Oils), in additives (http://lowerfriction.com/product-page.php?categoryID=1)(http://www.apnano.com/), and as a powder. There are several forms, all better than MoS2. It is physics/chemistry, not marketing. Browse those sites. Do your research.

WS2 bonds to the interfacing materials like MoS2. Just better. One could indeed run without oil if the parts had been properly impregnated. Rather than agonizing over a numerical analysis of angles/pin head Sq. Research.

Originally Posted By: Lapithes
An abundance of conjecture, and zero proof. I think I'm sensing a trend when it comes to oil additives.

Unsubstantiated claims in abundance.

Much annoyance when questioned.

Cue my fan club.....

Ok bringing this topic to life again with latest updates.

Molykote A2 is not sold in Brazil anymore since last year. I have reached Dow Corning and they pointed me to M-55 Plus as a replacement.

We still have Militec-1 (USA product) as an alternative.

The following video shows how long an old Mercedes runs without any oil in the engine:

This one shows an old Honda treated with Militec running without oil for 17Km (fast forward to 19 minutes in the video):

Again the same guy now with an old FIAT treated with Militec, rolling a dyno without oil/oil pan/valve cover (fast forward to 40 minutes):

No conclusions yet. I am still running with no oil additives.

I think almost any engine can run 6 miles or 10kms without oil, specially at top gear in a dino, without air drag. BBC had one test that the engine sized after a few good miles. The Militec test ended at 10 kms because of noise and internal friction drag. In the Civic test, you can see that there is a cup o the bottom of the sump, whrre the pickup rests, so with half quart of oil there is some circulation witch explains the flickening oil light. Look at 58:20. Don't think it did much it's relied on a kind of chlorinated varnish to protect. Now, a solid lube was used in war to give some extra running time.

Vid

https://youtu.be/OUE5fcdBf9Q

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back