How could wrong filter cause "blowout"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Yoyo
The primary failure for this filter was the fact it had no bypass valve. Cold oil and pressure build up means blown gasket. The ill fitting threads may have held with no serious damage to the engine.

The consumers (me included) who take their vehicles into quick/cheap oil change places don't really want to think about how a slightly misfitting filter may be shortening the life of their engine. Our complacency in the end will always mean more money out of our pockets. Sometimes the price of trust is really high... or we may go along blithely ignorant of the cost we may have been faced with in a twist of fate.

That is why I don't have a problem with BB paying for a used engine. The engine being put into my car has 10,000 less miles than the one that was blown. It will have a 3 year warranty. My trust "payment" for going with quick/cheap BB oil changes will be trusting that the engine going into my vehicle will be trouble free. My trust "payment" also includes inconvenience.

I have had this vehicle for 12 years. I have been going to BB for all of my oil changes. This was a chance error of the tech grabbing the wrong filter. I had been driving my vehicle with the "slightly" misfitting filters for 12 years. Has it shaved years off the life of the engine? Who can say.

Maybe I am a fool, maybe I'm just lazy. But I do not have the time, interest or expertise to double check all the work done by mechanics, HVAC pros, plumbers, electricians, etc etc ad nauseam. For me personally, trust is an easier option.

Trust may be an easier option, but if your time isn't worth much, then who is to say you shouldn't put your investment (car) into the hands of a different person each time you take your car to Walmart for an oil change?

...I have had this vehicle for 12 years. I have been going to BB for all of my oil changes. This was a chance error of the tech grabbing the wrong filter. I had been driving my vehicle with the "slightly" misfitting filters for 12 years. Has it shaved years off the life of the engine? Who can say....

Not sure what you mean by "misfitting". If you are referring to the fact that TLE uses 6607 size instead or the spec 9688/3593A, not really misfitting just downsized. And this is not a unique practice to BB, most if not all quick lubes and some indies now do this as standard practice. With regular oil changes, I doubt it makes any significant difference in engine life. The biggest difference would likely be holding capacity as compared to the spec filter. However, respected member/poster Jim Allen referencing a filter engineer that the average car with average oci/fci would be less than 50% loaded when removed. Seeing as you had regular O/FCs, I'd say you fit the profile of average. All that said, I too would 'prefer' the larger spec size filter be used.

I don't think going to a quick lube means you are "complacent", just have other priorities besides diy oil changes. That doesn't mean you should expect anything less than at least competent service including having the correct oil filter installed. I hope it was just an error in grabbing the wrong filter and not an intention of using something close (ie. that screwed on) because the TLE spec filter was not available or handy at that moment.

Agree that not having a bypass likely played a major roll in the eventual failure. Not sure though that with incorrect thread pitch combined with cold temps on start up and incorrect gasket size the sealing gasket may not have failed at some point even with a filter bypass. In any case, wrong filter used was the cause of the failure.

Fram filters can take over 300 psi before the gasket ruptures. Every engine has an oil pump bypass valve. These are less than 300 psi. Even if the filter had no bypass valve it still would not rupture or come off. It was solely the thread size was too big and the loose thread couldn't hold the pressure.
If I went to BB for an oil change I would have to check each time if the filter was correct after reading this story. Otherwise I would take it to a real mechanic for the oil changes or the dealer. Dealers often have coupons. I would never trust BB.

Before I did my own oil changes, I went to Walmart, bought my oil and filter, then went to my uncles mechanic and watched them change and use the oil/filter I provided. They did a very good job and I learned a lot from just watching them. No one seems to care about the filter gasket anymore though. Very glad this worked out. If you care about your car, WATCH THEM. That's what the little window in the TLE is for.

Originally Posted By: chainblu
Trust me, my good man. Dealers make mistakes too.

The dealer lube techs are no different than lube techs anywhere else. It is the highest turnover position in most dealerships.

Last edited:
The primary failure for this filter was the fact it had no bypass valve. Cold oil and pressure build up means blown gasket. The ill fitting threads may have held with no serious damage to the engine.

I doubt it. And even if it did hold, the misthreading would damage the threads on your engine (an expensive repair).

Quote:
I do not have the time, interest or expertise to double check all the work done by mechanics, HVAC pros, plumbers, electricians, etc etc ad nauseam.

Of course not. That's why we pay people to do the job, that we ourselves don't have time to do (or learn). When they make mistakes and destroy our stuff..... well then they owe us money (to restore the item back to shape).

Do these responses sound like I know what the grape I'm talking about? I feel like Tiny Tim asking big 'ole BB for more.
crazy.gif

Any lawyer will tell you, "Don't talk." Otherwise those details about the garage, temperature, and so forth will be TWISTED and used against you (that's how court arguments work). When talking to the garage manager, it is better to stick with the facts:
- Your employee installed the wrong filter.
- The filter failed & dumped the oil.
- My engine was damaged.
-
- You can either fix it now, voluntarily, or you can goto court & have a Judge tear you to pieces. Your choice. (Personally I will be amused to watch you stand in a courtroom & make a fool of yourself.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back