NASCAR Just Committed Suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care for NASCAR, but to me, points have always meant Zero. Who has the most wins in a season matters, nothing else.

A race is called the "Playoffs"?

That is definitely a contender for dumbest thing I have heard (read) all week.

I've never really been a NASCAR fan, and this certainly won't help.

I remember the good old days. I would meet a large group of friends and watch almost every race. We had a pool going for $20 a person. None of our group has watched a race in over 10 years. Ruined.
The NFL is following in NASCAR's foot steps.

NAPCAR used to be easy to understand. Somebody won a race.....thats it.

I understand how the segments help prevent people from laying back for a whole race. I guess. But all that will do is cause a glut of scampering around for position at the end of each segment and very likely 3 cautions in the 5 laps prior to the end of the segment. Boring and laborious.

If they didnt have deals with the tracks they'd have to be careful of a competing series.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Preplanned cautions to get in more commercial breaks. Now that's racing.

Yeah, I always thought those mandatory safety cautions are sooooo stupid. Just like the 'car of the future' with rear spoiler the drivers and crew chief hated.

I stopped watching when # 3 died. I still like Dale Jr.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Yeah, I always thought those mandatory safety cautions are sooooo stupid. Just like the 'car of the future' with rear spoiler the drivers and crew chief hated.

Speaking of Jr. , he looks depressed lately on TV.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Speaking of Jr. , he looks depressed lately on TV.

Concussion issues will do that to you.

Originally Posted By: billt460
NASCAR-just plain stupid.

Now you have the perfect opportunity to get out from in front of the idiot box (you're actually watching cars drive round and round in an oval?) and do something constructive.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Now you have the perfect opportunity to get out from in front of the idiot box (you're actually watching cars drive round and round in an oval?) and do something constructive.

There's quite the fine line between TV and internet forums, like the ones you are addicted to, right Pops? Seems like you are an expert on both of them, however.

I'm not sure it's suicide so much as a slow death when they stopped keeping up with technology. Well, I mean, they do have fuel injection now! Maybe they'll move on to them over head cam things.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Concussion issues will do that to you.

I don't think he is depressed because of anything medically related. Like many older, successful drivers, he is struggling for a reason to stay in racing. He is one of the wealthiest drivers in NASCAR, with a net worth estimated north of $300 MILLION. He would have been hard pressed to have had a more successful career. He has just recently married. And after suffering through an accident which has sidelined him for a large portion of the season, he is no doubt fighting inner demons that are telling him to quit. Who wouldn't be in his position?

These is also the death of his father. That's a lot for any driver to carry around the track with him every time he gets into a car. Darryl Waltrip once said that every driver is fearless and super aggressive, until he suffers an injury in a major accident. Some are able to return with a bit less aggression, others are never able to come back with a competitive racing attitude again. I don't look to see him around much longer as a driver. As a team owner, or a broadcaster, (assuming he has the speaking talent), perhaps. But much like Dario Franchitti and Rick Mears in Indy Car, there comes a time when the sensible choice is to get out of the car, and explore other options in life.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: billt460
NASCAR-just plain stupid.

For me and my buddies it was also a social gathering. Different venues No wives or girlfriends unless they were really interested, none were.

That should really help their market penetration in Mexico which they've been working on for a while.

Not.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
I remember the good old days. I would meet a large group of friends and watch almost every race. We had a pool going for $20 a person. None of our group has watched a race in over 10 years. Ruined.
The NFL is following in NASCAR's foot steps.

Was going to say NFL is doing what Nascar did. They grew so fast they thought it would never end and then ignored their fans.

I watch very little NFL now compared to the past and have not watched a Nascar race in god knows how many years, maybe over a decade.

Agreed on the oval races; quit watching them years ago. At times they reminded me of my drive to work in Houston, sped up a touch.
I keep track of the races on the Nurburgring as it's a much more challenging course for both drivers and cars. You win the 24 hour race there and you've something to be proud of.
Between the 'Ring and aerobatic competition (which is seriously hard core because of the extreme G forces) I'm set.

NASCAR is a joke anymore, it started with the Chase format and allowing manufacturers to "buy championships" (think Toyota and Kyle Busch a few years ago) I love watching it with my 8 year old son simply because he's a gearhead and its good bonding time. We're both Jimmie Johnson fans and it amazes me to see the great lengths NASCAR will go to keep him from winning again! This whole new arrangement is just another way to keep a driver like JJ from sand bagging, figuring the car and track out and then coming to the front when it counts! In a 500 lap race the only one that counts is the last one!

And please lets not get started on the whole "how great is JR" thing, he's nothing but a name, can't race, can't drive and never could. He runs on his daddy's legacy and has the money to do it. I'm sorry and I know that will tick off a LOT of his "followers" but its the truth. With his money and connections in the sport he should have at least Won 1 championship by now! A name can only get you so far, talent takes over the rest!

The cars need to take a step back and start resembling a real car again, the rules need to go back to plain old hard core racing with no "chase" [censored] or other [censored] to even out the playing field and may the best driver win! I lost all respect for France when Kyle Busch won the cup after missing 8+ races with a broke foot! Get real...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back