Bernie Ecclestone loses control of F1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
If they don't find some role for Bernie within the business, he'll be dead in six months.

This is one time I would prefer to disagree with you... But I can't. His life is Formula 1.

Time will tell where Formula 1 is headed. Wonder if it will get ugly like what happened to Champ car. New management might upset Ferrari or Mercedes to the point where they want to leave.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
On the other hand, he has enough money (and then some) to attend every race. If they grant him a perpetual pitlane pass, he simply may never die.

Bernie has been both God and Moses, or as the tabloids call him, "F1 Sumpremo", to Formula 1 racing since the late 70's when he bought the television rights. This has now been taken away. He is both powerless and rudderless in and around Formula 1. He built it, now he's out of it. I don't think he'll ever be able to accept that. It's like how Steve Jobs felt when he was kicked out of Apple. His only hope, again like Jobs, is to hope they'll screw it all up, and be forced to bring him back to fix it. As you said, I doubt he'll live that long.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Time will tell where Formula 1 is headed. Wonder if it will get ugly like what happened to Champ car. New management might upset Ferrari or Mercedes to the point where they want to leave.

First of all, it was the retards at IRL that F'ked over Champ Car.

The free money from CART, and the free money thrown around in the IRL for years, has created a false economy and just underscores the damage that has been done to the sport since Tony George created the IRL. (STICK IT WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE!) The split has allowed NASCAR to suck the sponsorship well dry, which, and the free handouts offered by the manufacturers in the past have created a false sense of security for the teams with their hands out.

Free handouts are simply wrong. Honda and Toyota threw a lot of money around the Champ Car paddock when they were in CART and now they have done the same thing in the IRL. This has created teams who do not know how to sell sponsorship by hiring the right people to do it, instead waiting for freebies in the form of engine subsidies, driver salary subsidies, subsidies from companies that engine manufacturers bring to them through business relationships, or subsidies from Tony George.

In F1, teams find their own sponsors or they don't race, simple as that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: billt460
As you said, I doubt he'll live that long.

If they don't give him something to do that he feels is worthwhile and substantive, nope, I don't think he'll live too long. He does, however, have enough willpower to stick around long enough to see how things get mucked up without him, and I'm sure he can watch with a bit of glee over the first few weeks of the season, and if not, he does have enough of a presence to stir up the media and grid personalities himself, if he wishes to spice things up. Him being gone is no answer. Martin Brundle said some months back to be careful what you wish for when it comes to Bernie, because we just might get it.

Generally speaking, it will be interesting to see how things go. People will very quickly realize Bernie didn't write the rulebook, and the new management team doesn't have the ability to rewrite it, either. F1 needs a lot of fixing, and I hope we're not expecting miracles. These people bought the marketing rights to Formula 1, nothing more. They would be well served to try to get Germany back on the calendar and keep Italy and Silverstone there. Get online streaming more readily available. Cater more to young fans. Get a real Youtube channel. Bring back Bernie-Vision, considering WEC already has it.

To fix rule and technical issues in F1 is going to be a lot more difficult, considering Chase Carey and Liberty don't have that power, any more than Bernie did. He couldn't do anything about the hybrid engines. He didn't come up with the weird, aborted qualifying idea. Heck, he couldn't even do anything to spice things up with reverse grids, simply because he didn't have the power, and where he did have the power and responsibility, in providing content to broadcasters, he is supposed to provide three days of content.

I suspect Carey's moustache will be a little more droopy and he'll be smiling a lot less after a few weekends, especially if Bernie isn't there to help him navigate some of the minefields with the nutty personalities in the business. Ross Brawn has made it very clear he's not interested in the politics, so he'll have no help there. Charlie Whiting has had it, and can barely keep his own house in order, let alone help the new management. Carey will have one meeting with Sergio Marchionne during some disastrous Ferrari weekend, and he'll have wished he stayed home. Many races back, something Bernie said made Dr. Z. turn on his heels and run off camera on live TV, leaving Toto to handle Bernie's live hand grenade and search for the pin. Can Carey follow that?

I hope them all the best and want to see improvements like everyone else, but Bernie, for being such a tiny man, has left some rather big shoes to fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back