14 Town&Country 3.6 AMSOIL OEZ 0w-20 5,150 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a friends 2014 T&C. It gets most of the miles on the interstate, 70 miles each way a few times a week. Using Car Quest oil filter and air filter with AMSOIL OEZ 0w-20. I try to keep it changed every 5k and a few times it has gone past as far as 9k miles. I didn't get a sample then but will next time if it goes that long again.

UOA was from Oil Analyzers Inc in Indianapolis

Code:
Data indicates no abnormal findings. Resample at normal interval. Lubricant and filter change acknowledged.

OIL OEZ 0w-20

MILES IN USE 5,150

MILES 91,623

SAMPLE TAKEN 1/05/2017

ALUMINUM 0

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 5

COPPER 10

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 84

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 141

SILICON 9

SODIUM 3

CALCIUM 2169

MAGNESIUM 10

PHOSPHORUS 709

ZINC 870

BARIUM 0

Oxidation 9

Nitration 8

cSt @ 212ºF 7.5

Fuel%
wATER% 0.0

INSOLUBLES 0.1

TBN 4.12

This is the pentastar 3.6 right? If so, why 0w20 instead of the spec'd 5w20?

Also, if this is a pentastar, his CU level is low in an engine that's known for having higher numbers.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Seems like a waste. Any cheap mineral oil from Walmart would work with such use, IMO.

+1 that oil should be in use for at least 10,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Seems like a waste. Any cheap mineral oil from Walmart would work with such use, IMO.

+1 that oil should be in use for at least 10,000 miles.

This.

Originally Posted By: Mantooth

Also, if this is a pentastar, his CU level is low in an engine that's known for having higher numbers.

Why not? I use 0-20 in both Fords calling for 5-20 with great results.

Yes it is the Pentastar engine. I run 0w-20 in all the vehicles that call for either 0w-20 or 5w-20.
less oil to keep in stock since most of the vehicles I change oil in call for 0w-20.

Last edited:

You're right the copper looks very low for that engine. It comes from the oil cooler, but it looks like it really does eventually washout. At least from this report.

It's a good report, it looks like the oil could have gone longer.

How is it a waste if the oil produced good wear numbers? I don't get the mentality that you always have to use the oil within an inch of it's life. Oil is so cheap in relation to all other car service why do people fret over a few dollars.

Originally Posted By: JoelB
How is it a waste if the oil produced good wear numbers? I don't get the mentality that you always have to use the oil within an inch of it's life. Oil is so cheap in relation to all other car service why do people fret over a few dollars.

What makes you think PYB would be within an inch of its life after this service? Oil is cheap? Don't be so dramatic. Might as well change it out every night after work then!

Because people see Amsoil and think it's $20/qt. OEZ is $18.95 gallon PC price. This is another good UOA on this oil.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Because people see Amsoil and think it's $20/qt. OEZ is $18.95 gallon PC price. This is another good UOA on this oil.

3 gal purchased
$18.65/gal
$20/ year PC membership
$11.28 shipping

Excluding PC membership, that's $7.27/qt

Cheaper if you buy more: 10 gal would be 6.22/qt

Originally Posted By: Rat407

Yes it is the Pentastar engine. I run 0w-20 in all the vehicles that call for either 0w-20 or 5w-20.
less oil to keep in stock since most of the vehicles I change oil in call for 0w-20.

Okay, I was wondering if there was a technical reason. I always look at pentastar UOAs from other members and compare CU numbers to my UOAs. Yours is the lowest I've seen. I'm starting to believe different brands of oil and their make-up respond differently to the copper plumbing in the engine's oil cooler. I know this is just a single report but, taking it at face value and in my non-expert opinion, it appears Amsoil pairs very well with this engine.

Actually EXCLUDING the PC cost it's $5.60/qt delivered to your door. Don't forget the BITOG Pablo Special on PC membership.

Isn't Bitog primarily about physics of oils ??
tired.gif

Actually EXCLUDING the PC cost it's $5.60/qt delivered to your door. Don't forget the BITOG Pablo Special on PC membership.

That's actually really good.

Originally Posted By: Rat407

Okay, I was wondering if there was a technical reason. I always look at pentastar UOAs from other members and compare CU numbers to my UOAs. Yours is the lowest I've seen. I'm starting to believe different brands of oil and their make-up respond differently to the copper plumbing in the engine's oil cooler. I know this is just a single report but, taking it at face value and in my non-expert opinion, it appears Amsoil pairs very well with this engine.

This vehicle has been running AMSOIL's OE oil in it since 40k miles on the vehicle. They purchased it used.

And Amsoil has been running free shipping at differnt times this year, or 4.5$ shipping for folks with PC accounts. I have 5 yr account and it wasnt that expensive. i stocked up last spring on some transmission fluid and gear oil during one of the promotions.

On this site if it is Amsoil you must bash it.

I have two Pentastars but no UOAs on them yet. I run the full interval that the oil monitor calls for. Might be that you have had some sort of azole that is a yellow metal corrosion inhibitor in one of your oils. I don't know what the standard copper corrosion inhibitor is for the oil industry so I'm talking out of my butt.

Looks good though... I'm going to grab some of that Amsoil goodness from Pablo once I turn 40K-50K on my truck then start performing some UOAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back