2014 Camry Filter Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my wife a 2014 Camry. It's got 15K miles on it. I plan to do the recommended 10K OCI. I've been looking at Fram Ultra Guard, Wix, and Mann filters. Just wondering what other Camry owners would recommend.

Inline big 4 with long stroke? Do 5-7k oci. I don't think the oil will have any AW /Ep unused even if the base isn't too oxidized and the tbn is still over 2. You don't want 180 hp with water like oil. Id toss a qt or two of 30 in there. Automakers are still learning and failing miserably.

I would do 7,500 mile OCI's and swap in/out a Fram Ultra every other time for 15,000 total miles.

Do that with a good synthetic (Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, etc.) and the engine should last just about forever.

Edit: Also, for the money, Fram Ultras really can't be topped. It is pretty much the only filter I bother with for my Civic and Camry anymore.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skaughtz
I would do 7,500 mile OCI's and swap in/out a Fram Ultra every other time for 15,000 total miles.

Do that with a good synthetic (Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, etc.) and the engine should last just about forever.

Edit: Also, for the money, Fram Ultras really can't be topped. It is pretty much the only filter I bother with for my Civic and Camry anymore.
I own four Camrys. The Fram so called "Ultra" cartridge in my mind is no better than the Denso OEM, which can be had on Ebay at a good price. Insofar as oil goes, any brand name 0w 20 or 5w 20. The manual for my 08 6 cyl is 5 w 30, I use Mobil One and the engine does not use any oil. There are those who claim this filter or that filter is "better" than OEM, my experience with Toyota is their replacement parts are of very high quality, there's no justification to call them"cheap".

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: skaughtz

I own four Camrys. The Fram so called "Ultra" cartridge in my mind is no better than the Denso OEM, which can be had on Ebay at a good price. Insofar as oil goes, any brand name 0w 20 or 5w 20. The manual for my 08 6 cyl is 5 w 30, I use Mobil One and the engine does not use any oil. There are those who claim this filter or that filter is "better" than OEM, my experience with Toyota is their replacement parts are of very high quality, there's no justification to call them"cheap".

Chill, Winston.

Denso and Toyota products are indeed (typically) great. All I was saying to the guy is that you can go into a Walmart and grab 5 quarts of great synthetic oil and a Fram Ultra and be out the door and your engine will be in excellent shape. Ultras are readily available and have shown to be worth well more than their cost.

If this is the Camry that uses the cartridge filter (instead of can), then the OEM Toyota is probably good in terms of pricing.

You can probably go to a part store and compare those cartridge filter and see which one you like the most.

I have a 2011 2.5L in a Camry, and I started buying OEM filters on Amazon/Ebay for $4 each (in lots of 10). Not convinced that a better filter is required. I mean, it's a cartridge filter. You can examine it to your hearts content when it comes out. And so far, I've yet to see anything show up in mine. Nor tears, bulges or anything bad. So my vote is OEM. It's cheap and sufficient.

I'm a bit less sold on 0W20 for 10k miles as I suspect my wife's car is getting more short trips than I thought. I think I am starting to get slight usage after 120k. Major? Nope. But I think I might start using 0W30 going forward. If I use 0W20 it'll be for 5k over the winter; and then 0W30 for 10k the rest of the year. [I suspect it's FUD but it's my car and "oil is cheap".] Wife does "lots" of 10 mile trips over the winter months, and I'm starting to think it's adding up, and qualifies as severe, at least for the winter months.

Last edited:
I've used Puro Classic, Wix, and Microgard(lower line Wix?). All of them, including the factory filter, looked great when they came out after 9K+(5K on factory fill). Ultra in now and I'm debating doing 2x on that one.

OEM or any cheap filter is fine for the 10k run. Ultra is likely overkill unless you're double stinting. Keep it topped off on the 10k OCI.

Here's a UOA based on a 10k run with TGMO and an oem filter with super low wear metals. They're even lower than the averages which were based on a 6600 mile run. Also with this car the first oil change came at 10k miles.

10k UOA Camry

Originally Posted By: supton
I have a 2011 2.5L in a Camry, and I started buying OEM filters on Amazon/Ebay for $4 each (in lots of 10). Not convinced that a better filter is required. I mean, it's a cartridge filter. You can examine it to your hearts content when it comes out. And so far, I've yet to see anything show up in mine. Nor tears, bulges or anything bad. So my vote is OEM. It's cheap and sufficient.

I'm a bit less sold on 0W20 for 10k miles as I suspect my wife's car is getting more short trips than I thought. I think I am starting to get slight usage after 120k. Major? Nope. But I think I might start using 0W30 going forward. If I use 0W20 it'll be for 5k over the winter; and then 0W30 for 10k the rest of the year. [I suspect it's FUD but it's my car and "oil is cheap".] Wife does "lots" of 10 mile trips over the winter months, and I'm starting to think it's adding up, and qualifies as severe, at least for the winter months.

How is the oil consumption? My dad's 2012 is starting to consume at 40k. almost 2 qts per 10k

Consumption is half or a whole qt over 10k. I don't write down how many mm the oil fill level is over the full mark, and it's never been lower than the half mark at change time. So it's either a half quart or maybe a full quart (something like a 4.5 or 4.7 quart sump but I've always just dumped in a full 5 quarts -- hence the ambiguity). Never bothered to measure what comes out either. I do check about once/month, but so far, no need to add before change time, so I haven't worried about it.

But it used to stay solid at that initial level. But now it drops.
21.gif

Ugh.. The 2.5 was supposed to finally resolve the piston oil hole clogging problem plaguing nearly all 2.4L I4's for the past decade.. Suppose i'm gonna try one of the BG products next oil change.. Keep those arteries clean..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back