Educate me on BMW oil specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as 'favorite', thats depends. In my shop, we run Motul 5W-40 in most of the regular streetcars. VERY robust oil that I know will go to the oil life monitor if people let it, but we prefer they dont. 8-10k max IMO. For track car duty or aftermarket turbo'd cars, it varies. We run anything from Castrol 0W-40 to M1 15W-50. Avoid 5W-30's, especially ones not LL-01 rated. I'd run Castrol 0W-30 before running even LM 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
OP and All Others:

I am in the process of getting VOAs of three BMW LL-01 oils, all of them 5W-30. They are 1) BMW High Performance Full Synthetic (the old version, supposedly Castrol), 2) BMW Twin Power Turbo (the new version, supposedly Pennzoil), 3) Castrol Edge A3/B4 Euro (possibly what the old version was).

I will post these when I get the results. Package already in route. I will post within 10 days max.

Scott

Awesome! Look forward to seeing the results. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: IllinoisSparky
Their sticker says they use M1. There is no M1 with LL-01. And I worry about what filter they will use.

In an out of warranty BMW, I'd be fairly content with M1 0w-40, but that's assuming that's what they're using. There is a Mobil LL-01 product available, at least in Canada, which they could technically be using, but it would be doubtful. It's a bulk only product, and I could see a Euro dealer using it, but a Chevy dealer might not have a reason to stock it.
wink.gif

As always, if you do it yourself, you know it's done right.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: KenO
As far as 'favorite', that depends. In my shop, we run Motul 5W-40 in most of the regular streetcars. VERY robust oil that I know will go to the oil life monitor if people let it, but we prefer they don't. 8-10k max IMO. For track car duty or aftermarket turbo'd cars, it varies. We run anything from Castrol 0W-40 to M1 15W-50. Avoid 5W-30's, especially ones not LL-01 rated. I'd run Castrol 0W-30 before running even LM 5W-30.

Thanks Ken. Good info. Never considered Motul.
So, you think that 5W-30, even the OEM BMW version, is not a good choice?

Just want to thank everybody.
Learned a LOT about BMW LL-01 oil choices.
thumbsup2.gif

And everybody "played nice"! None of the "your oil sucks" that sometimes happens here.
smile.gif

This was exactly what BITOG was supposed to do.
Thanks again.

As far as 'favorite', that depends. In my shop, we run Motul 5W-40 in most of the regular streetcars. VERY robust oil that I know will go to the oil life monitor if people let it, but we prefer they don't. 8-10k max IMO. For track car duty or aftermarket turbo'd cars, it varies. We run anything from Castrol 0W-40 to M1 15W-50. Avoid 5W-30's, especially ones not LL-01 rated. I'd run Castrol 0W-30 before running even LM 5W-30.

IllinoisSparky:

Any BMW LL-01 certified oil of any viscosity range will yield the virtually the same results in any street driven vehicle, irrespective of the climate. A LL-01 approval is not an anecdotal statement, it is a proven statement that the oil meets BMW's specifications. Therefore, choose whatever LL-01 approved brand you feel like using. It will make no difference. All LL-01 approved oils will provide outstanding performance in your vehicle.

Scott

PS I often run Belgian 0W-30 in the summer here in the California Wine Country. Daytime highs often exceed 100F. I have very assurance that my engine is being adequately protected, even with a 0W-30. I have confirmed this with multiple UOAs. And speaking of 5W-30 oils, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 5W-30 oil that is LL-01 approved.

That said, I am not a big fan of the Liqui Moly brand. They have far too many nuanced choices for the same application/certification. Also, they seem to make alot of "snake oil" products.

5W30 BMW will do good.
The reason why we are putting BMW on a side is that we do not know too much about it.
However, we know it is GTL based, so NOACK should be really low. Cst should be above 12 at 100c, and HTHS above 3.5cp.
i used BMW 5W30 LL-04 in my diesel several times, and it is very smooth oil. It is smoother then Mobil1 5W30 ESP that I really like and using now.
However, gas? I would got o first Wal mart and get Castrol 0W40.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
All:

I am also in the process of posting a set of three more BMW LL-01 oils. They are 1) Castrol Edge 0W-30 (Belgium), 2) Castrol Edge 0W-40 (German). 3) Castrol Edge 5W-40 (USA, but LL-01, etal).

Thank you, Scott!

I know you're getting some responses of 'any LL-01 oil will run identical', and while LL-01 is a pretty stringent spec, saying they'll all work the same is kinda inaccurate.

My experience with BMW's (castrol-based, know little about the current Turbo Power stuff) has been that it lead to noisy lifters when taken to the oil life monitor. I have no UOA data to back up any claims. It doesn't seem to hold up to abuse. Just like TWS 10W-60 shears like crazy, I just think there's much better on the market elsewhere. These engines are a bit hard on oil - the 30 wts just arne't up to the task if the car is anything more than a pure commuter. If you bought it for a commuter though and to never drive it hard - why did you buy a BMW? These cars need to be driven like sport bikes. Get them full warmed up, and run them to redline. Every day.

I know you're getting some responses of 'any LL-01 oil will run identical', and while LL-01 is a pretty stringent spec, saying they'll all work the same is kinda inaccurate.

My experience with BMW's (castrol-based, know little about the current Turbo Power stuff) has been that it lead to noisy lifters when taken to the oil life monitor. I have no UOA data to back up any claims. It doesn't seem to hold up to abuse. Just like TWS 10W-60 shears like crazy, I just think there's much better on the market elsewhere. These engines are a bit hard on oil - the 30 wts just arne't up to the task if the car is anything more than a pure commuter. If you bought it for a commuter though and to never drive it hard - why did you buy a BMW? These cars need to be driven like sport bikes. Get them full warmed up, and run them to redline. Every day.

Which Castrols you are talking abut? 5W40? Yes. I had lifter issues with that oil on VW Passat 1.8T.
0W30/40? No way! It is ridiculously stout oil, and based on numerous UOA, more stable then any Motul.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Which Castrols you are talking abut? 5W40? Yes. I had lifter issues with that oil on VW Passat 1.8T.
0W30/40? No way! It is ridiculously stout oil, and based on numerous UOA, more stable then any Motul.

No, I stated lifter noise with the Castrol-sourced BMW 5W-30.

Quote:
No, I stated lifter noise with the Castrol-sourced BMW 5W-30.

Never used Castrol sourced BMW oil, but it was made at same site as Castrol 5W40 for American market. Could be same stock, additives, who knows.
I know one thing, looking at numerous UOA, Motul is nothing better then any other average oil, and not in same league with Mobil1 0W40 or Castrol 0W30/40 when it comes to shear stability. As for 0W30, it is still go to oil for many BMW owners. Statement how W30 grade is not appropriate is bit ridicilous. All W30 ACEA A3 oils are around 12cst, while W40's are around 13. Heck, 0W30 Castrol has almost same HTHS as Motul 5W40 X-Clean.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Buy BMW dealer oil. It's SHELL GTL 5w30 and always priced about right.

Yeah, it would be good if BMW or Shell posts some numbers.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Buy BMW dealer oil. It's SHELL GTL 5w30 and always priced about right.

That's what I now run in all my BMWs. No complaints.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Yeah, it would be good if BMW or Shell posts some numbers.

Specs, or pricing? Specs are at the normal Shell place, for the 5w-30 A3/B4.

Well not sure is it just repacked Shell oil.
As for pricing, liter of BMW OEM oil in my local dealership is $7.85.

Well, you know how they are. It could be repackaged or it could be something else. Pricing up here is another matter. Shell has finally got some of these oils a little more readily available to the consumer. Now, they have to improve container sizes. Shell is packaging everything like it was six or seven years ago with Euro oils up here, everything in 1 L containers. At least an EcoBox can be had.

Well. I did not buy this SUV at a BMW dealer.
Went today to get info on what they would be using for my "free" oil change.
Found out that they changed oil as soon as they got it with MOBIL1 5W-30. Not even the M1 Euro 0W-40 which doesn't have LL-01, but would have been closer at least. AND, they used a cheapo Carquest filter that I removed that had a rupture in under 500 miles! Would be using the same for any other OCs.
So, I am done with them on oil/filter changes. They are going to "work with me" on another way to get the value equivalent.

Gonna try to get that 5W-30 SN out as soon as I can.

Last edited:
Well. I did not buy this SUV at a BMW dealer.
Went today to get info on what they would be using for my "free" oil change.
Found out that they changed oil as soon as they got it with MOBIL1 5W-30. Not even the M1 Euro 0W-40 which doesn't have LL-01, but would have been closer at least. AND, they used a cheapo Carquest filter that I removed that had a rupture in under 500 miles! Would be using the same for any other OCs.
So, I am done with them on oil/filter changes. They are going to "work with me" on another way to get the value equivalent.

Gonna try to get that 5W-30 SN out as soon as I can.

It never ceases to amaze me how places that are tasked with maintaining vehicles can be so ignorant to the specifications and requirements for what they are servicing. This is a prime example of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back