Brake sliders pin grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks very much guys, I really appreciate your helpful advice and help.

Yeah, I am sold on sil-glyde and will not even think about anything else
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Originally Posted By: Farmer
3M 08946 is available on Amazon but it costs more.

That's what I use. I've used the mission automotive brand as well.

I am finding that this stuff dries up a bit after 1-2 years of being in service. For now, I decided to try Toyota's rubber grease. The pins also slide a lot better since the Toyota rubber grease is less viscous and less "sticky" than the 3M product.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

I am finding that this stuff dries up a bit after 1-2 years of being in service. For now, I decided to try Toyota's rubber grease. The pins also slide a lot better since the Toyota rubber grease is less viscous and less "sticky" than the 3M product.

How much does it cost and can it withstand high temps? Thank you.

Don't use a petroleum based grease on caliper slide pins. It will deteriorate the boots. Sil-Glyde has worked for me for years. Lube the caliper slide pins every two years. And avoid any of the Permatex goop brake greases.

None. Use Sil-Glyde, Dow 111(also sold as Motorcraft dielectric grease), or Toyota rubber grease(more so for Toyota and Subaru products).

Permatex does make a rubber-safe silicone-based grease, it's almost like the Honda specified Molykote M77 but avoid using that on sliding pins, moly might jam up the rubber bushings.

Everyone in the uk advises to use red rubber grease. Some shops now do something called ceratec compound. Will try it soon.

Whenever I change pads I buy those little packets of pin grease. Usually have them close to the check out.

Every Permatex brake grease I have used swelled the lower pin bushing to where the pin was seized in the bore.Use Sil-Glyde or a silicone brake grease.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Thanks guys, I am sold on sil-glyde. Seems like the right and cheap stuff
smile.gif

Use it and don't think twice. The slide pins always get sil-glyde. Unless there is a packet that comes with the pads I will also use sil-gylde on the pad contact surfaces as well

Thanks, I am planning to use sil-glyde on the pins and regular grease on the pads and other metal parts.

3M 08946 Clear Silicone Paste (mentioned above)

Toyota Part No.: 08887-01206
RUBBER GREASE (is what I used on Toyota's)

Originally Posted By: wymi516
Opinions on this lube: Permatex

The purple Permatex stuff caused the rubber bushing on the tip of my Subaru's slide pin to swell. You can see the bushing I'm referring to in your Amazon link - fifth picture down, just to the left of the brush. I still use it everywhere else shown in the Amazon link though. It resists washout quite well but for the slider pins, I'll stick with Sil-glyde or try to locate some of that Toyota red rubber grease.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Originally Posted By: The Critic

How much does it cost and can it withstand high temps? Thank you.

Around $12/tube from any Toyota dealership.

And yes, it can withstand "high" temperatures. Slide pins really do not get that hot. If they did, the rubber boots and bushings would melt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back