VW G-055-540-A2 vs G-052-540-A2 in Aisin 09G Gen2

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I did a ton of reading on here and other forums and talked to some VW/Audi techs that I know when it came time do the transmission service in my mom's 2011 Jetta 2.5 6 Speed Auto. The service manual now says to do a fluid service at 50k miles; It no longer says that it is lifetime. So I checked by VIN in ELSA and it says that for my mom's transmission code 'MAN' that it needs G-055-540-A2, not the older G-052-540-A2 but it doesn't explicitly say that G-055-540-A2 superceeds all older fluids, for the other 09G transmissions it still indicates to use G-052-540-A2 which has a lot more aftermarket options (3309, Type T-V, Maxlife...). I couldn't find very many fluids that were spec'ed out to G-055-540-A2 so I went with the original VW stuff at $18 a bottle from the dealer (this was discounted from $21 because my buddy is the parts manager). I did take a sample of the used fluid and sent it in to blackstone although I didn't ask for a TBN. I didn't send in a virgin sample, so I realize that there won't be any comparison, but hopefully I can at least see how much wear metals are in the oil.

Does anyone know anything about the 09G Gen2? About the G-055-540-A2 spec versus the older 052? I probably would have saved $70 on running a different fluid, but without knowing why this is changed I didn't want to take a chance, especially knowing that there is a generation 2 of the 09G. Fill and flush procedure are the same as the Gen1, fluid looked fine. Car has 45k miles, I will post the UOA in the UOA forum once I get the results back, I mailed the sample on Monday, so it probably hasn't been done yet.

Thanks guys, I am not an expert and I appreciate your expertise. (Be nice
laugh.gif
)

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
It appears that that the G-055-540-A2 is nothing more than a DexronVI equivalent.

And according to this chart, Valvoline MaxLife or Import Multi Vehicle can be used

Valvoline Transmission APP Chart

The way I read that chart it says 'available from dealer' for his application.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
It appears that that the G-055-540-A2 is nothing more than a DexronVI equivalent.

Yes, several aftermarket Dexron VI products list G-055-540-A2 equivalency in their specs.

That makes sense since the transmission is just another Aisin 6 speed, not something proprietary.

Originally Posted By: tnt31

The way I read that chart it says 'available from dealer' for his application.

tnt31 got it right, Vaovoline is in fact telling me that I can't run their maxlife and that I do have to run dealer fluid. This is exactly what prompted my post and why I did eventually run the factory fluid for this flush. I guess my post here was to see if anyone had any more specific knowledge than what I could find on the interwebs on my own. I actually found very little on this fluid or the 09g gen2. I don't know that it is proprietary as RobtE put it, but it would appear that they have changed something, I am just not sure if the market just hasn't yet had a chance to evaluate this and build it into their general product offerings yet, or if it is actually something special that is going on with the gen2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back