Between these 2, which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Air cooled lawn mower engines ranging from 6 to 25 horsepower, various makes--ranging from Honda to Kawasaki, mowing temps of 65-95.
Your only two options for this "fleet" are:
Mobil 1 HM 10w-30 or
Rotella T6 5w-40.
Which and why?

Rotella t6 synthetic.

Because it's just better, that why!
grin.gif

Yeah id go Rotella too. Im running Pennz Plat HM 5w30 in my mower but it seems to be burning it up quickly compared to whatever was in it last...next change I am going with some leftover PYB 10w30. Im sure 15w50 like CT8 said wouldnt be a bad idea.

My newer Craftsman 26hp says 5w30 right in the manual. Briggs website recently blessed 5w30 as the oil of choice for all its small engines including many older years speccing a solid 30. So thats what I'm using - M1 5w30 in everything. So far so good, no additional consumption. The most noticeable difference going to a thinner oil is easy pull starts on lawnmower and 8hp snowblower. However if you have a burner that may not be possible.

Like the idea of T6 5w40 because higher zinc, no catalyst to worry about. Think i'll try that for my "fleet" too lol. Thought I read somewhere T6 recently changed, becoming more "CAFE", less Zinc?

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
My newer Craftsman 26hp says 5w30 right in the manual. Briggs website recently blessed 5w30 as the oil of choice for all its small engines including many older years speccing a solid 30.

Any additional specs beside just 5w30 statement?

Because I would never put in conventional oil for HD use (if ther is synthetic for almost the same price)
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
My newer Craftsman 26hp says 5w30 right in the manual. Briggs website recently blessed 5w30 as the oil of choice for all its small engines including many older years speccing a solid 30.

Any additional specs beside just 5w30 statement?

Because I would never put in conventional oil for HD use (if ther is synthetic for almost the same price)
smile.gif

The website had changed since I last visited, but here is some info

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/support/faqs/browse/mower-oil-type-and-capacity.html

Interesting notes on one diagram:

*Below 40°F (4°C) the use of SAE 30 will result in hard starting.

**Above 80°F (27°C) the use of 10W30 may cause increased oil consumption. Check oil level more frequently. (but 5w30 syn is just fine for all temps and burns less oil?)

Both of these oils have HTHS of at least 3.5, so either is plenty thick.
Why not try both and see which brings lower consumption?
I'd lean toward the T6 but I wouldn't count the M1 HM out.
You might also consider HDEO 10W-30s and even 15W-40s.
The temperature range in which you operate these engines would be no challenge at all for a 15W-40, which would also be a very inexpensive choice.

Which ever one that is maintained at a proper level in the engine and changed at a reasonable interval.

I was just looking at the technical data sheets for two new Rotella products that I'll be trying in my outdoor power equipment. Both CK-4:

1) Rotella T-5, 15W40 Synthetic Blend > 251C Flash Point (yes 251), cst@100C of 14.9, cst@40C of 111. GTL Base., TBN of 10

2) Rotella T-6, Multi Vehicle 5W30 > 239 Flash Point (yes 239), cst@100C of 12.1, cst@40C of 75. at least 3.5 HT/HS. TBN of 11. GTL base.

My current favorite "cost is no object" 30wt outdoor power oil, it the Amsoil 10W30 Metric (MCT). 238C flash point, 3.5 HT/HS. I used it in my Kawasaki engined, Cub Cadet lawn tractor last summer, and could not make the oil level budge, regardless of the number of hours I put on it, or how hot it got, here in Tennessee.

I think these two new oil, will be the next cult favorites on this board. You heard it here first.

Either one, although 5w30 seems to be the more common manufacturer's recommendation as others have stated. Mobil 1 is actually the lower cost option at my local Walmart. I use Rotella T6 in my 30+ year old B&S powered rototiller and a much newer Chonda powered generator. Most of the other OPE gets a steady diet of M1 5w30 HM. Given the temperature range you've stated and the use of the word "fleet," I would use whichever costs less and not lose any sleep over it.

I use M1 10-30 in my 5 year old 21HP Briggs powering a 42 in. Craftsman rider. I change oil every 1 1/2 years and the engine doesn't drop off the full mark.

Originally Posted By: CT8
M1 15W-50
+1 I use my equipment hard here, Kubuta, Kawasaki,Massey Ferguson,Onan twins, All get Mobil 1 15W-50. Never had any issues with engines.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I use T5 10w30 Rotella in my B&S 20HP twin. I obs eve no drop in oil level in the hot Florida mowing. Ed

obs eve?
Speak English please!

I do agree that the Rotellas are a perfect fit for broad ranges of lawnmowers. I have never needed to add oil to my lawnmowers and I've been cutting grass since 1976. I would never use thin oil like 5/10W30s.

In the 70s, I used straight 30W (Valvoline racing)
In the 80s I moved to 15W40 Delo
In the 90s I moved to 5W40 Rotella T6 and still employ it today in 2017.

Last edited:
He missed the "r" key. "I observe no drop in oil"
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: Eddie
I use T5 10w30 Rotella in my B&S 20HP twin. I obs eve no drop in oil level in the hot Florida mowing. Ed

obs eve?
Speak English please!

I do agree that the Rotellas are a perfect fit for broad ranges of lawnmowers. I have never needed to add oil to my lawnmowers and I've been cutting grass since 1976. I would never use thin oil like 5/10W30s.

In the 70s, I used straight 30W (Valvoline racing)
In the 80s I moved to 15W40 Delo
In the 90s I moved to 5W40 Rotella T6 and still employ it today in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back