Choice for chevy V8 filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Whatever you want to get.

You can get fram ph373 for under 5 bucks on rock auto if you want to go oversized.
ya but make sure to prefill that bad boy.

Run the STP S373 from Autozone on my 83 Silverado, and yeah I fill with a qt of oil prior to screwing it on.

Originally Posted By: 1977c10phxdriver

Geee, thanks! LoL I'm not feeling so good all of a sudden.

With a 20mm thread, it isn't a common filter. No wonder it's been on a shelf so long.

The more popular filters move so fast, they don't have time to get old.

On Rockauto, the more expensive $6-$7 Wix will be a black Wix filter in a Wix box.
The cheaper wix can be any color or name in the world, as long as it says "Gastonia, NC" on it somewhere. Sometimes they are CarQuest, sometimes some other brand line.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
The AC Delco so long as it's not an ecore.

The ecore is fine for the OCI. If you know different please post the link. BTW-the new redesign....not the old one.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Half dozen on the way. $4.75 each w/shipping

I'd like to see what you get. The last AC filter I got from Rock Auto (a PF47) was from LONG before the E-core days. It's in a very old & weathered box.

Geee, thanks! LoL I'm not feeling so good all of a sudden.

Well let us know what shows up. I just restocked my filter stash with 12 AC's from them and they all looked fresh and new.

Quote:
Well let us know what shows up....

+1 Curious to know what you receive. Generally speaking if the AC Delco has an E suffix next to number that makes it an ecore. However in the case of the PF1218 it could be an ecore even without the E at the end. A google search of this site and others confirm that.

On the plus side of using the ecore for your application, your trucks being older GM there's no filter bypass so no combo valve on it. Just an adbv. The newer manufactured ecores show an improved cage with more longitudinal trusses and better pleating, tighter. Still 'my' preference would be for the classic construction ACD if I could get them.

As for purchasing oil filters from RA, anecdotes posted here show it can be a carp shoot 'sometimes', especially under the Ultra Guard name. Sometimes the filter received does not match the filter picture shown and/or the stock may be rather old. Hopefully you will get the filters you are expecting.

Sorry about your health issues and associated hardships. Good see you feel well enough to attempt some diy maintenance, a little at a time. Welcome back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back