2007 Silverado starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truck has 80K miles. Well maintained. Wife took it to the store and it would not start. Lights and power go on with key but starter does nothing. Jumping it doesn`t help. Battery tested good. I have it towed home and pushed into garage. For the heck of it I turn the key and it starts like normal. Shut it off and now, just like before, power comes on and starter does nothing no clicks, nothing. The truck is 10 years old and 5 years ago I had to replace starter. Bad starter again?

Could be the starter or bad connections. If its still doing it try hitting unlock on the fob and then try. I have found my Cadillac sometimes will set the theft system and hitting unlock fixes it.

Check the security system first.

Also, tap the starter and see if it can start that way.
If yes, then the starter is bad.
Yes, even at 5 years of service, starter can go bad.
Quality is not where it used to be, we as the user is the QC for company.

Does the red brake light come on in the cluster when you turn the key? Could even be a bad ignition or neutral safety switch. Also thought there was a security light that came on if the security system locks it out?

All cables were cleaned a couple of months ago when I had to replace alternator. I have played with gear lever from start of problem to see if that was it. Will check light cluster.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/70931-computer-controlled-starter-on-nbs/

Well aware of this because truck has remote start. Remote start does not work now. Red brake light comes on as well as all other lights as normal. Everything comes on as normal except no response from starter. Cannot get to starter at this point in time to hit with hammer. Cannot work on truck until Tuesday. If I get power to starter when key is turned I will replace. Thanks

Click no crank means voltage was provided to the solenoid.

The pull in winding of the solenoid goes to ground thru the motor. I have found that the brushes and commutator often film over, and cause this problem. The brushes will be half worn.

I think that the emphasis on long life lead to brushes without enough cleaning agents. If you test the armature to make sure it does not have a dead spot, then sand and clean the commutator, and either sand the underside of the brush, or put in new brushes it will work for another about 80K miles.

Rod

Ready for this one. Went out this morning and truck started. I shut it off and then it did not start. Then it would start with remote start but not key. Very long story short. 3 months ago I added an aftermarket backup camera. Very simple, cheap, wireless transmitter type. The transmitter unit was not sealed well, from factory, and was shorting out from road salt. This was causing the either the bcm or ecm to not let the truck start. Once I cut the wires to the camera, the problem went away. I had gone on GM truck site and never found an answer, but people had similar starting problems and it was with factory security system in the bcm. Cutting wire to camera was last ditch effort before bringing it in and I got lucky. Needless to say POS camera is in trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back