Maintenance day on my parents car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't blink an eye when my parents ask me to help maintain their car(s). That's the least I can do for them. I did a lot of bone head things when I was young that they use to put up with. Lol. U did good, Dan

Originally Posted By: Kira
Donald...a 2009 with 248,000 miles? That's 31,000 per year. No lease for this Mom & Pop. And then to banish them to Jiffy Lube!

It's,...it's unAmerican!. Kira

My point is few people besides other BITOG people appreciate quality synthetic oil or good quality filters or getting cat done at CarWell to prevent rust.

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson

What in the heck would cause a battery to look swollen and leak?

Improper water level inside, or a charging system that's got a bad voltage regulator.

I would highly recommend you not let them go very far if it's visibly distorted, as it could rupture/explode or worse start a fire. Note that the acid is extremely harmful to living things, so if it goes south, stay away from it until the area has been well ventilated and you're not in danger of having it spray on you.

If it's serviceable (has the caps you can open to look inside) then make sure the water is up to the level with distilled water. Note that it must be clean distilled water (GreatValue gallon for $0.98 is what I get).

If it's non-serviceable, throw it in the trunk of your car, drive out to where they bought it, and then throw it through the glass front door of the establishment to show your disdain for their inferior product.

JK, don't break their door!!
whistle.gif

1 year is way too short for a battery. I switched from water battery's to AGM's for the 20% more battery capacity, the fact that weather doesn't affect them, and the fact that my starter turns like a bull with a hot brand on it's skin (at 0F). They do cost a pretty penny though
frown.gif

Last edited:
How's the alternator output? If the alt's throwing too much current at the battery weird things can happen? I'm thinking clogged vent caps, but those can fly off as well. Spotty JCI quality?

Okay
Alt tested out to be just fine and that battery was replaced under warranty. Hard to say what happened if the alternator is okay and I will try to keep an eye on that battery.
Right motor mount was replaced yesterday and that popping noise is now gone.
I also replaced the right side fog lamp housing because the glass lenses has been missing for some time now.
While I was working on the car I replaced the power steering fluid with a couple drain and refills from the reservoir. The old fluid was super nasty looking.
Replaced both washer nozzles.
No more squeaking after the left lower ball joint was greased with a grease needle.
Two Conti Pure Contact tires were ordered and will be replaced this week.

Hopefully we are good for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back