Few more Syn Q's. HDEO in gasoline vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
-Would the heavy duty diesel synthetic be more protective vs. the same temp/weight gasoline car synthetic?
-Also, considering their additive packages. Which 5W-40 heavy duty/diesel synthetic available from Walmart is least damaging to the catalytic converters?
I think I remember seeing:
Rotella T6
Delo 400
Delvac1
Turbo Diesel Truck

Last edited:
Be very very careful using HDEO's in gasoline engines. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the zinc content is what fouls cats in regular cars. Trying to achieve higher protection may backfire if your cats get clogged. What application is this for? Also you'd have to dig up VOA's to figure out the amount of zinc in each of the oils you have listed as this info isn't on the MSDS. Lastly, you may be better off with an A3/B4, as these oils, while sacrificing fuel economy, provide much better wear protection. The dexos/dextron thread from yesterday shows a comparison between A3/B4 vs dexos. Most common would be Castrol Edge 0W40 which would work very well at protecting your engine. M1 0W40 is also another good candidate

Most are dual rated for gasoline and diesel. Delo and Rotella sure are. Fleet operators run this stuff all the time in either gas or diesel.

The issue is does your car burn oil? If it does not consume oil, it can't poison the CAT.

If it drinks oil, the CAT is goinna die anyway ...

It's all about consumption and oil control...

BrocLuno: I apologize then as didn't know Delo and Rotella are dual rated. Thank you for your info sir
10.gif
34.gif
01.gif

I believe Delo is higher in ZDDP than Rotella but both have plenty, as stated above a complete non issue IMO if it is not burning oil. The Motorcraft HDEO Super Duty stuff is not dual rated but again IMO that's a Ford thing, I wouldn't hesitate to run it in an appropriate vehicle (like my Jeep).

I have used Delo XLE 10w30 simi synthetic in my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder 4.0 V6 without issue not that I expected any issue. The oil is dual rated and my 2012 V6 says I can use SM rated oil. The VQ40DE V6 is hard on oil and I was looking for a solid 10w30 for summer towing. According to several UOA's the oil holds up quite well and does not shear down all that much at a reasonable OCI. I have an oil sample sitting on my shelf from that change that I need to send in.

If you are looking for a solid 10w30 the Delo XLE is a solid option.

Which application? Assuming your Armada, for instance, doesn't have any manual wording that differs from every other Nissan/Infiniti product, you could get away with Delvac 1 LE 5w-30, Shell Rotella T6 5w-30 Multi-Vehicle, or Chevron Delo LE 5w-30. All three of those meet the minimum API requirement for the vehicle (GF-5 is optional) and are of an acceptable SAE grade. Further, they all are low phosphorus lubricants.

An A3/B4 lubricant will have more phosphorus, and a 5w-30 A3/B4 will not have the newest API gasoline service category, if that's a concern to you.

I'll be using only 0W-20 for the Armada. Since that's what the manual says, I don't wana have any warranty issues. As for the rest of the cars I'd like to get the most protection possible vs. gas mileage. I've always thought that the additives in HDEO synthetics offered more protection against wear than the rest, aside from the catalytic converter issue I've previously heard about. My cars don't really burn any oil so that probably isn't gonna be an issue. The Civic is driven about 100 miles daily. The rest of the cars maybe once a week or every other week. What would y'all recommend??

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Most are dual rated for gasoline and diesel.

Originally Posted By: car51
I note that MC HDEO 10w30 says on back of jug not for use in gasoline engines. My 2cents

That's because it's not dual rated HDEO, I suppose.
Ooops, miss out other responses above.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nicasio
What would y'all recommend??

I always recommend to be cost effective. Just for example, if you're using a quality conventional in a vehicle, and running conservative OCIs, it might not be worth it to bump to a synthetic (HDEO or otherwise). So, always watch that.

But, there are other options, and I listed the low phosphorus examples. Out of curiosity, what are you running in the BMW? An A3/B4 option isn't out of the question for the other vehicles, within reason, and assuming the cost isn't too high, if you wanted to simplify things.

Generally speaking, it's always safest to follow the OEM recommendations, but there is something to be said for consolidating one's inventory. Me, I just like to be contrary.
wink.gif

In the BMW I run Mobil1 0W-40. I've heard on other BMW forums of folks running Turbo Diesel Truck with good results on their cars.

Using the specified lube in the BMW (or close enough, with M1 0w-40) is usually quite wise. Other options are available, of course, but one has to watch costing. Running HDEOs in such applications used to be a bigger deal, particularly up here, when M1 0w-40 and Castrol 0w-30 A3/B4 were the only options and were only available in 1 litre bottles, at our high prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back