Accord hard start

Status
Not open for further replies.
It took 2 tries to start my Accord today. First time it just turned over for a while so I tried again, second time it started after another extended crank but it sputtered to life. This was the second start of the day, first was moving the car about 200 feet. Maybe the super short trip was somehow the cause? Just odd since that car has less than 45K on it. I have experienced hard starts before in this car (maybe a total of 4 other times in the 1.5 ish year that I have owned it) but it would still start on the first try, just a little rough. Maybe I will throw in some Techron before the next oil change. The car is the Accord in my sig.

Has the MAF sensor been cleaned lately? I just did this to the Matrix and it was very easy. Used some CRC MAF cleaner. Probably not a bad idea to clean the throttle body as well.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Has the MAF sensor been cleaned lately? I just did this to the Matrix and it was very easy. Used some CRC MAF cleaner. Probably not a bad idea to clean the throttle body as well.

I cleaned the MAF sensor when I changed the engine air filter about a year ago. Throttle body has not been cleaned, I have never done this before but assume it can be done easily.

Is it still under warranty?

Hard to believe a '12 Honda with only 44,xxx miles is having starting problems?

The throttle body is kind of pain now that it's drive by wire instead of cable controlled. I'd probably have the dealer do that one for $50 or so. I read where a dirty MAF can cause hard starts or where it starts then dies after a few seconds.

How about the battery? Clean, tight connections esp the positive terminal. Could be a weak battery.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
It took 2 tries to start my Accord today. First time it just turned over for a while so I tried again, second time it started after another extended crank but it sputtered to life. This was the second start of the day, first was moving the car about 200 feet. Maybe the super short trip was somehow the cause? Just odd since that car has less than 45K on it. I have experienced hard starts before in this car (maybe a total of 4 other times in the 1.5 ish year that I have owned it) but it would still start on the first try, just a little rough. Maybe I will throw in some Techron before the next oil change. The car is the Accord in my sig.

don't bother, it was probably flooded from the very short interval you have run the engine the first time. Happens now and then. If it insists, check the spark plugs or something...

That could very well have something to do with it since all the condensation was quickly cycled through and didn't have a chance to burn off. A good hwy run should help. Esp if the car is short tripped a lot.

Hopefully some toptier fuel from a newer, high volume station is used.

Incomplete combustion.The plugs got loaded by the rich mixture,never got hot enough to burn it off and then got hit with another rich mix when started again.Just think of how cars in the carbureted era suffered under conditions like that.....fouled plugs.

Maybe a bad coolant temperature sensor is making the ecu think the engine's still hot so it doesn't enrich the mixture like it should when you go to start it.

Has it thrown a CEL?

I have a Dodge V6 with hard to start symptoms that turned out to be cam/crank position sensors. The computer had trouble reading the timing. Log shot but....

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Incomplete combustion.The plugs got loaded by the rich mixture,never got hot enough to burn it off and then got hit with another rich mix when started again.Just think of how cars in the carbureted era suffered under conditions like that.....fouled plugs.

This

My previous 2010 Accord would do the same thing once in a blue moon. I have had other 8th gen Accords do the same thing when being serviced at my body shop with multiple super short trips inside the shop.

I've experienced this in new cars, too. I typically run the car long enough for the idle to settle, if I have to move it just a short distance.

Vapor lock due to starting it and immediately turning it off.
Moved it 200ft?
That scenario is one I avoid like the plague especially in the winter. Worst thing you can do to a car.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
That could very well have something to do with it since all the condensation was quickly cycled through and didn't have a chance to burn off. A good hwy run should help. Esp if the car is short tripped a lot.

Hopefully some toptier fuel from a newer, high volume station is used.

It only gets Shell, I am a believer in top tier fuels.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Vapor lock due to starting it and immediately turning it off.
Moved it 200ft?
That scenario is one I avoid like the plague especially in the winter. Worst thing you can do to a car.

I try to avoid short trips when possible, but the car had to be moved so I moved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back