Carquest blue filter change-looks and feels cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was stocking up on Carquest blue 85060 filters for my boat since they were on sale.
I ordered 4. One box was different than the others, less printing. Same part numbers on all of them.
When I got home I inspected the four filters. Three of them look and feel like the heavy duty CQ blue filter I like. The fourth looks and feels like a purolator classic. Did they change them recently for the worse and I happened to get one new one?

The newer ones are made on the Purolator line. Older ones were either a metal end cap Fram or a premium Wix.

The one odd one, feels cheap.
The description is also different on the box regarding the bypass. This one is not a coil spring but the flat piece of metal.

Last edited:
AAP/CQ switched suppliers last April. They are now made by Purolator. The CQ Red is most likely a reboxed Classic, while the Blue is probably a P1.

The older three you have were made by Fram, very similar to M1. The Fram-made Reds were like the classic pre-Ecore Ac Delco.

The first picture is definitely a Fram, and the second looks like a Purolator with the trademark Motorcraft oval holes

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

The older three you have were made by Fram, very similar to M1.

Sorry, I don't understand this statement.

I have never seen any Fram that was "very similar" to a Mobil-1 filter. Even the Fram ultra is really quite different.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

The older three you have were made by Fram, very similar to M1.

Sorry, I don't understand this statement.

I have never seen any Fram that was "very similar" to a Mobil-1 filter. Even the Fram ultra is really quite different.

There was a period of time not too long ago that Champion Labs came under the umbrella of "FRAM filtration" so M1 filters were actually "FRAM".

I guess now there is some doubt about if Champion will continue to make M1 filters.

The whole thing is kind of muddy...

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

There was a period of time not too long ago that Champion Labs came under the umbrella of "FRAM filtration" so M1 filters were actually "FRAM". I guess now there is some doubt about if Champion will continue to make M1 filters.

OK, so it is referencing more of an "ownership" thing, even though factories and production lines hadn't changed locations.

First Fram filters with metal end caps I've seen in my life was when the XG's came out, other than these:
151984959592_1.jpg

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

There was a period of time not too long ago that Champion Labs came under the umbrella of "FRAM filtration" so M1 filters were actually "FRAM". I guess now there is some doubt about if Champion will continue to make M1 filters.

OK, so it is referencing more of an "ownership" thing, even though factories and production lines hadn't changed locations.

First Fram filters with metal end caps I've seen in my life was when the XG's came out, other than these:
151984959592_1.jpg

There were Ecore Frams.
smile.gif
Perhaps they will be collectible someday.

Last edited:

First Fram filters with metal end caps I've seen in my life was when the XG's came out ...

As pointed out above, Fram has made quite a few "made for" brands (ie, "CarQuest") with metal end caps. If someone wants to hire Fram to make a filter with metal end caps, then Fram can do it.

Purchased at advance auto. Got them for less than $5 each. I will keep it, but I will not be buying any more. Back to Napa gold for this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back