Broken drive belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally was able to reach the shop after they left a message. Took a while before I could actually talk to somebody.

So yeah - all they recommended was a belt replacement, including the still-functioning AC belt. The price was a bit more than I thought, but they kind of have me over a barrel since the $60 diagnostic will apply to the service and I would need it towed elsewhere. I don't have the time to go there and provide the parts. They're charging about $35 each for belts bought from Napa. I see a bunch of options from Napa, but all under $30. About $60 for labor and about $135 out the door. Napa buys their branded belts from Gates, right?

What I do see is a bunch of different listings for this part. They might be buying from Napa and charging a small markup. Some of the listings look like the same belt can be used for alternator or AC. Others say just serpentine belt. Some say there's a power steering belt, but I only saw two serpentine belts under the hood. I though the same belt drove the alternator and power steering pump.

And what the heck killed the power braking? The engine was running kind of poorly, but I didn't think it would be shot simply from the belt breaking. I get that electrical was iffy once the alternator wasn't being driven.

How hard is it to do yourself? Occasionally we're in the middle of nowhere, so a spare belt in the trunk and basic tools might come in handy if a belt randomly breaks.

Got it back, and lesson learned. Had a look under the hood and I guess the belts aren't the same. Can't tell what name is on the AC belt, but the drive belt says Bando.

Even though it cost a little more than I originally thought, they do have a $25 rebate on any service over $100.

Last edited:
OK. Looked closer and the main belt drives the alternator and A/C. The secondary belt only drives the PS pump. So it's not like my WRX. The PS belt was intact, but power steering still gave out. I guess No alternator was causing the engine to sputter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back