02 Accord Steering Wheel Puller Bolt Hole Stripped

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I was in the process of trying to fix the remote audio controls on the '02 Accord which is fairly straightforward per TSB 03-022 (I believe that was the #). So, certainly a first world problem. However, in using the steering wheel puller, one of the threaded aluminum holes in the steering wheel stripped - threads pulled clean out. So, what now? I don't like to leave something broken for several reasons, but the first is that I can hopefully learn another fix. I don't like to punt problems down the road when the steering wheel really does need to be pulled. Thank you.

I'm pretty sure it's a M8x1.25 but will double check length before ordering. What material - coated carbon steel or stainless steel such as 303? Any concern with this being for an aluminum hole? Would a Time-Sert 1812 kit work; $73? Since I'll have to determine the correct length, then I could order only the exact length I'll need such as 18121 (carbon steel) or 18122 (stainless steel) which is 11.7mm long (the length supplied in the kit). Or should I be using an aluminum insert like with spark plug kits but are M14 - the wrong size?

You can use a Time-Sert if you have it or just a common carbon steel Helicoil, no need for SS coil or aluminum Sert, there is no expansion of dissimilar metals or heat transfer concerns like on a cylinder head that would warrant using one.
Just measure the thread depth and use a little grease on the tap to catch the chips from cutting instead of cutting oil, its much cleaner.

I take it you can't fish a nut in behind where you're working to back things up?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I take it you can't fish a nut in behind where you're working to back things up?

I was wondering about that as well as maybe drilling and tapping it to a larger side. That, and we probably need pictures to better assess the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back