Early Cat. Converter Failure (2014 GM 5.3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster.

I purchases a certified used 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L from a Chevy dealership with 63,000 miles. At 68,000 miles I start having rough starts, occasional misfiring, slow throttle response and a CEL. So I take it to the Chevy dealership and they ended up replacing the catalytic converters under warranty. That made a huge difference and everything is back to normal now. I don't think the dealership was trying to hide anything when I bought it because throttle response and everything was fine at purchase.

However, my question is: what would cause the Cats to fail this early? These new gen V small block (L83) engines have DI so perhaps that could have something to do with it? The dealership implied that they have replaced a few Cats on the '14's but otherwise they have been really solid trucks.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like it plugged.Probably had a severe misfire in the past and that problem was solved but the damaged converter remained.

I can't remember the code, but yes it was clogged. I know the previous history of where the truck came from and I don't think bad gas was an issue. But there's usually a reason cats get clogged, I just don't know what could have caused it so early...

Originally Posted By: Packer12
there's usually a reason cats get clogged, I just don't know what could have caused it so early...

One big reason is repeatedly running the gas-tank level very low.

Could just be bad manufacturer. I had a Ford Contour once where the cats got clogged and they were replaced under warranty, a little while later they had a recall and they replaced the cats again. Hope your replacement ones last a while, I think federal emissions is only 8/80k, unless the car is a Pzev, then it's 15/150k, but I doubt it as Idaho isn't a Pzev state.

Originally Posted By: Tegger

Unless you are constantly running out of gas, that's an old wive's tale.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: Tegger

Unless you are constantly running out of gas, that's an old wive's tale.

Yeah, that makes no sense either. Usually a very low tank leads to a burned out fuel pump.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Could just be bad manufacturer. I had a Ford Contour once where the cats got clogged and they were replaced under warranty, a little while later they had a recall and they replaced the cats again. Hope your replacement ones last a while, I think federal emissions is only 8/80k, unless the car is a Pzev, then it's 15/150k, but I doubt it as Idaho isn't a Pzev state.

I had a similar problem with a 1998 Contour, v6- the cats next to the cylinder banks (i.e. manifold cats) tended to cause error codes: eventually Ford came out with a new ECU flash and mostly resolved the problem.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Sounds like it plugged.Probably had a severe misfire in the past and that problem was solved but the damaged converter remained.

That's what I think. They could have been driving around with a bad plug or coin pack for a while, got it fixed and the CC died later as a result.

Does the engine use oil?

The cat should last nearly the life of the vehicle. Its failure is a symptom of engine problem.

Never experienced a plugged cat, cracked and rattling at >100K miles, but never plugged, seems odd that it would fail that early without a contributing factor. I like to go WOT once in a while to keep them burned off.

The same thing happened to my friends 2004 Silverado when it was ~3 years old. He only lived about 2 miles from work, and the dealership suggested that the short trips were to blame. Not sure if that is true, but he ended up getting a beater to drive to work and saved the truck for longer trips. He kept the truck until 2016 and never had another issue.

Over the last OCI, about 7,000 miles (90hi/10city) it used about 1 quart.

It is used mainly for highway trips on the weekends and only used in town driving a couple times a week. The clogged cat problem started once it started getting colder. It does see below 0°F starts so maybe it runs too rich and that could be what caused it. The dealership said they have replaced a few. Either way, once my warranty is up I plan on installing a catch can to prevent all that gunk from going in my engine and keep carbon deposits on the intake valves at a minimum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back