K&N for 89' Camaro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've stumbled across some funding to put into my 89 Camaro RS (2.8L V6) I am getting the clutch repaired soon and my next project is fluids. I've decided on Castrol GTX dino and am deciding on what to run for a filter. The tires only touch the road between May and October and I run it HARD with probably 60% road and 40% track. Would K&N be detrimental to such an old engine? Engine has 60,xxx miles so It's starting to show some wear, is there another filter that offers the high-flow characteristics of K&N with possibly better micron ratings?

I always thought the 2.8 was an engine that was being forced to pull the heavy F-body around against it's will. They get did GREAT in the Beretta and Celebrity, though.

Look at the Fram ULTRA filters for high flow with excellent filtering efficiency.

sicne those engines aren't so soffisticated it doesnt matter that much to put a powerfilter on. Only computer controller SMALL engines would notice quicker!

I wouldn't bother with a K&N CAI or the oiled filter. You can't suck or breathe your way to HP especially in an engine with such a small volume per cylinder. Spend money on headers and exhaust. Better scavenging will give you the most gain.

I'm just looking to get the best oil flow possible for the engine. It's been abused a lot (distributor cap leak for years, leaking about a quart every 1000 miles) so I'm looking for the best possible oil flow. I don't want to get it tricked out, just make it a fun summer car

Guys, I think he's looking for an oil filter. He wants to use Castrol GTX but hes unsure of which Oil filter.

blush.gif

The 60º 2.8 doesn't have any crazy oiling requirements. Wix / Fram Ultra / M1 would be my pick. I'd fix any leaks before doing much else with it. If you are really worried about oiling examine the oil pump, pickup screen / tube, and pan.

The 2.8 grew into the 3.1, which grew into 3100, into the 3400 and later the 3500 / 3900 family. It's a pretty tough mill with some really poor output, especially in heavier F body applications or worse, the wagons it was installed in. Before 86' the bottom end was pretty weak as I recall.

I do like my 3500 however, but its almost a totally different mill at that point with offset bores, oil squirters, VVT, ect.

Last edited:
The filter choice benefits would most likely appear when the marketing company receives its check. One of those Tornado thingies would increase the H.P. and the gas mileage. Yes it would.

Originally Posted By: PolarisX
... The 2.8 grew into the 3.1, which grew into 3100, into the 3400 and later the 3500 / 3900 family. It's a pretty tough mill with some really poor output, especially in heavier F body applications or worse, the wagons it was installed in. Before 86' the bottom end was pretty weak as I recall. ...
Nevertheless, a former coworker of mine ran one them up way past 200K (possibly over 300K) miles with minimal problems---in a Celebrity wagon, no less.

Thats why I said its a pretty tough mill.

My cousin had a Pontiac 6000 wagon and a Corsica with the 3.1 (not 3100) engines. The wagon was a freaking hazard on the highway trying to merge though.

Originally Posted By: PolarisX
The 60º 2.8 doesn't have any crazy oiling requirements. Wix / Fram Ultra / M1 would be my pick. I'd fix any leaks before doing much else with it. If you are really worried about oiling examine the oil pump, pickup screen / tube, and pan.

The 2.8 grew into the 3.1, which grew into 3100, into the 3400 and later the 3500 / 3900 family. It's a pretty tough mill with some really poor output, especially in heavier F body applications or worse, the wagons it was installed in. Before 86' the bottom end was pretty weak as I recall.

I do like my 3500 however, but its almost a totally different mill at that point with offset bores, oil squirters, VVT, ect.

Wasn't the 2.8 the one that would loose the bottom end in the s10s and blazers if you got the least bit hard on them. I had around an 85 or 86 s15 jimmy with the 2.8 and it didn't last long to my 15 year old driving habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back