FRAM Ultra '99 GM 7.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this filter not exist for this application? no one seems to carry it, I've cheked everywhere I see there site shows the XG30(Pic shows Extended Guard for the Ultra?)but the EG is not the multi layered syn. media?,, confusing!!

I run extended drains on the truck and would like to use a Ultra because it doesn't use louvers.

It's a 4x4 so it has to be the XG30

Extended Guard was the previous name for the current Fram Ultra. Should be same internal construction, just with a different paint job.

If your certain that's the case? I only want to use there ultra construction,Darn I was at wm looking for "Ultra", not up on my FRAMs ill go back and check.

Couldn't find it in the Extended Guard either
mad.gif

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1999,k2500+pickup,7.4l+v8,1353383,engine,oil+filter,5340

Rock Auto is showing the XG5 as an option.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1999,k2500+pickup,7.4l+v8,1353383,engine,oil+filter,5340

Rock Auto is showing the XG5 as an option.

It has to be the short version so it don't hit the front drive shaft, thanks.

Im beginning to think this filter is not available or been discontinued.

Fram shows the XG5 as the filter even for a "K" which should be 4x4 with a footnote "long version", it does not show a "short version".

It is possible that the Fram can in this application is shorter than the Delco allowing it to work.

Shoot user MotorKing an e-mail, his e-mail is in his signature on all his post and he will tell you what the scoop is.

I seen that but most times I found it's wrong information the long version is too long, but ill check with him. thanks.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
Shouldn't this take a PH3980 sized filter? Since its a 4WD a PH5 can't fit.

This is the 454 it has to use the short version(vertical fit filter)because the front drive shaft. it's not on a angle like the 350.

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Fram shows the XG30 (Ultra) ... old photo though. But it should be available.

http://www.fram.com/Search-Parts/Part-Detail?PN=XG30

I seen that too, but I've called every auto parts store and no one can get it,

More searching on the 'net always shows the old photo ... so maybe Fram did discontinue the XG30. Motorking would probably know or could find out for sure. Find a Motorking post and email him at his Fram email address. Or just call Fram's help line number on their website.

Fram shows the XG30 (Ultra) ... old photo though. But it should be available.

http://www.fram.com/Search-Parts/Part-Detail?PN=XG30

I seen that too, but I've called every auto parts store and no one can get it,

More searching on the 'net always shows the old photo ... so maybe Fram did discontinue the XG30. Motorking would probably know or could find out for sure. Find a Motorking post and email him at his Fram email address. Or just call Fram's help line number on their website.

I found that out too with a search on the web. I pm'd Mk so we'll see what he says, Thanks!

I know you need the short filter because the filter is vertical and the PH5 size will hit the drive shaft.
I have similar truck with the 6.5L diesel that have similar setup.
In my case, I took out the horizontal adapter when I replaced the oil cooler lines.

The other filter brand have the short version like Mobil M1-111, Wix 57099XP, etc.
I have used the Wix and it fits just fine.

Last edited:
Talking to MotorKing it's looking like this filter is about obsolete so I may have to go with the Napa Platinum, I would use a Purolator boss but I just can't get by the louvered Center tube I looked at a few at Advanced Auto today and the holes were barely open!!! I'll pass.

^^^ You know the XP/Platinum isn't real efficient ... not like an Ultra.

The short version of the filter would be the ac delco pf454. The fram ph30 has no adbv. The equivalent with the Adbv would be the ph8873.

I don't see why you need the short filter the same application in earlier years speced the ph5 unless something changed. I have seen that the shorter filter is speced on the later years. Coincidently it is the same size that is speced for the 8.1l engine hence why there are not many options anymore. Rock auto does have m1-111 filters cheap. They are older filters though.

Last edited:
Baldwin lists a year break on 5/10/99 for the switch from the long to the short. They must have changed something with the truck design. Since that is the case there is no fram ultra for your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back