Coffee - Your Current Brew

thumbsup2.gif

Thank you!

This weekend will have both the high and the lows in the negatives up here in Northern Wisconsin. Looking forward to a cup of this to keep me warm.

2n7i6o4.jpg

I'm assuming you mean Cost Plus World Market (?) I used their bulk ( not bagged ) whole bean coffee for a few years and I found it to be OK but not anything that is really superior to what I can get at a chain like Sprouts...which I don't think are east of Texas. YMMV.

Typically, I never seem to find bagged coffees that are as good as "the known commodity of what I like" beans in bulk. For example, I like the Starbucks Ethiopian and I also like the Sprouts Ethiopian in bulk ( both lighter roasts ) but in bag coffees it's more about if I can identify the source as something that interests me and if I can ascertain the roast. If it's not sold in bulk and really interests you then that would be reason enough to buy it for me.

Currently trying Schuil's Northwest Dark Blend. In my espresso machine, it actually tastes more potent than their Espresso Italian Roast.

The below image is of their bagged version. The one I'm using is bulk, bought directly from their roasting facility.

DSC_7037.jpg

The last two I had on hand were Stumptown's Holler Mountain and Bicycle Coffee's Medium Guatemalan. I recently bought a drip cone, but I need to get a burr grinder. Doesn't make sense for me to break out the French Press unless I need to make coffee for two which occasionally happens.

Been drinking blue can Maxwell House coffee since I started drinking coffee. Drink a freshly brewed cup first thing every morning when I wake up. I use a 4 cup Mr. Coffee maker and when they break after a long while I buy the same $20 Mr. Coffee maker because I've never found a coffee maker that brews as good and is so simplistic and functional. I hate keurig coffee. Then again I'm a simple man and stick to what works for me. Never saw the benefit of fancy coffees or coffee makers.

Last edited:
Anyone ever give Rodak's coffee a try? They're out of the Dallas area but do mail order over the phone.

I have not, but I've seen a positive recommendation of it on another forum, specifically their BRAZIL MORENINHA blend.

I've got a fairly long list of recommended mail order coffee roasters and specific roasts that I'll eventually start ordering once I'm done sampling some of my local roaster productions.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Trying this one this morning. Slightly too acidic for my taste, but not too bad.

DSC_7106.jpg

That coffee is possibly roasted near me in Oakland - World Market's headquarters isn't that far from me. Blue Bottle's headquarters is next door, I ride by their main roastery quite a bit.

I started paying attention to "roasted on" dates now. Most of these store-bought coffee bags don't list it. For regular brew, it's not that critical, but for espresso you do want it rather fresh.

This particular World Market bag, for example, only lists a "best by" date, but that doesn't tell me when it was roasted. Still, I'll use it in milk-based drinks.

Not sure if I participated in this thread or not, I'm not reading 38 pages to see...

Currently, I'm drinking Starbuck's Americana a few times a day. It's a double shot of espresso, topped off with hot water and a tiny shot of milk, no sugar. Main reason is I became friends with the executive chef at work and every time he saw me on the coffee line in the cafeteria, he waved me over and showed me how to make my own on his machine.
My wife's happy because I don't spend money on coffee all day. Chef's happy because he gets express service when he needs anything done.
I'm happy because I love coffee.
Now, on weekends when I'm not at work, I have to go to Starbucks to get the same taste.

Originally Posted By: AmoryBlaine
Trader Joes French Roast, a steal at $4.99.

For how big of a container?

I'm joining late so I guess I will ad hoc, yet somewhat randomly, drop in some comments.

Best coffee I had brewed for me was in Brazil. Amazing body and flavor. Served pretty sweet and thick, and no milk at all, but not acidic in the least. Cloth sock filter.

Italians say Americans enjoy coffee that is too oily. I think I know what they mean, but that oil adds to the body. I think folks like a coffee with a good mouthfeel, but not too bright - not too acidic. I have tried a couple Lavazza bought from Amazon. Disappointing to say the least. Too acid, maybe old, no oil at all.

Moka pot is my favorite method, but not sure about aluminum - so once a week or so. French press method is my usual daily method.

I live and breathe in the shadow of Starbucks and generally agree with the charbucks comments. It's analogous to the overly hopped ales (for the style) in the PNW. That said, I find the Starbucks Italian Roast to make the very best brew with my moka pot. These beans from the right store are fresh, oily and awesome. I also like the Pike Place blend.

We have a Saeco espresso machine. It's a piece of junk.

We always store our beans in the freezer, sealed up. This is bad?? Why???

Back