Can a Toyota Filter last for 20k miles? Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
On dealer bulk? Yes, kinda. Had to top it up 1qt to get it reading between the lines on the dipstick. Has a timing cover weep too.

This filter came off of a 2008 Toyota Yaris. OCI was due at 99K KM according to Toyota and about 20 months ago. The oil that came out thickened up nicely to a thick almost maple syrup like consistency. When I first cut the filter open, the oil that came out like a grey soupy sludge. Surprisingly there are no deposits in the oil filter. Don't know where the ADBV went but it wasn't terribly stiff.

Refilled with VWB 5W-30 and a Wix 57145.

27CogwR.jpg

M4XMBUU.jpg

7L0fxzV.jpg

FaIoW62.jpg

Lb9781Y.jpg

q6fog8Z.jpg

YVi7xIu.jpg

Last edited:
By "lasting" I suppose the fact that the media is still present and intact could mean that, but I would not feel the mere appearance equates to the measurable effectiveness and efficiency present or left.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
For 20k, you should've used the XP
smile.gif

20K kilometers = 12427 miles.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Odometer - sticker = 27,400 what?

You have to account for what they sticker the OCI for. I just estimated 5K KM. Which is about 32,400KM. Very close to 20K miles.

Ive read that they have a larger surface area of media compared to most filters. Filter held up but I assume the oil..not so much...wonder what a UOA would say..

Oh but you can't tell by looking at them anymore here. Someone will tell you it can only hold so many grams of debris and your filter must have surely been in bypass for the last 10k.

That filter looks pretty much like the FL-1A I pulled off the 400M in my F-250 after 30,000 miles in the late 90's ... except it at least had three oil changes, each at ~10K (not on long one). Mine had a lot of carbon "bits" deep down in the pleats.

Can nobody can do math today?
crackmeup2.gif

Oil change "due" at 99,000km means it was probably changed at 94,000km or before.

126,424km-94,000km = 32,424km or 20,147 miles.

Sure it can go 20k. Because its efficiency is only +-60%. Its Like a K&N oiled air filter. Has great flow, doesn't trap much "dirt". Just look at the oil. Like mud.

Note the lack of metal end caps. Thought that was sooo important.. Probably would cause a tear if it was there..

Originally Posted By: Garak
You should try sourcing Denso in Canada. It would probably be easier for me to hop on a plane and pick them up in Japan.

Uni-Select affiliated stores can get Denso, it's not that hard to give them a call.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Well, I'll be! The Uni-Select store I favour has two walls full of Wix, so I never went asking beyond that.

I've only asked for spark plugs though. Not too sure about filters. However, they can get Clarcor products with no issues.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
I've only asked for spark plugs though. Not too sure about filters. However, they can get Clarcor products with no issues.

When I do spark plugs for the G37, I'll have to check, since those are the specified ones. I'm not complaining too much about my Clarcor pricing right now, with Acklands selling me the Baldwin filter for the G37, me right off the street with no corporate rate there, for $6. As you're well aware, finding any filter for $6 in Canada is good, much less a Baldwin, for a relatively expensive part number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back