What's the worst oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
No oil....

That must've sucked. I would assume you just forgot to add the new oil after a drain? How long did it take for you to realize your mistake?

Its a joke... to the thread title.

We're going to need a doctor around here to fix us up after all this side splitting laughter has ended

Worst motorcycle oil from a major brand is the dino Castrol 4T in my honest opinion.

There are tons of off brand trash oils as many are pointing out.

The only way i have judged oil is from shifting quality . The worst
ever was castrol 10w40 m/c oil in the white bottle , 2nd worst would
be lucas m/c . The best shifting had to be yamalube 20w40 next best
any of the m/c valvoline oils . Just my opinions from the last 19 yrs of
riding .

When I started riding motorcycles many years ago, around me there were no special bike oils and no synthetics car oils that were generally avaliable, everybody ran GTX 20W50 in their bikes. It worked fine, but sheared out, and gave bad gear changes after a few months of daily riding. Maybe 4 months with my riding patterns (M-F in the city, Sat and Sun in the mountains).

Then Castrol Edge 10W-60 full synthetic appeared, it was called FormulaR back then. I gave this a go, and to my surprise I could go a whole year with a good gear change on one oil change. The oil looked pretty good coming out too. These were all Japanese shared sump bikes, with the oil running in both the engine and the gear box.

After many years happily on this, and before BITOG, a mate started telling me about the importance of flow and the terror of start-up wear etc. So I tried Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4, this is the high zinc (~ 1000 ppm) high HTHS ( ~ 3.6 cP) Euro rated, 30 grade oil. It was Terrible !!! And the worst oil I have ever personally used. The gear change was bad within a few weeks and getting worse. I changed it out pretty quickly, maybe 6 weeks.

The Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 is a good name brand, full synthetic, high SAPS oil. Perfect for a car, but the worse bike oil I have ever used. It's pretty easy to see that using a low-SAPS, resource conserving, ILSAC 0W-20 would be far worse in a shared sump motorcycle. But I have never personally tried a 20 grade, a few weeks on a 30 grade was more than enough for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back