Do you drive your old car during the winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in southern CT, the winter has been not so snowy, with several stretches when the roads don't have any visible snow or slush or salt (I hope). So, this winter, unlike past ones, on a few weekends, I have taken my 1988 Dodge Aries wagon out for a 20-30 mile drive. It's not a daily driver so I would not take it out on newly-salted roads or anything like that.
One morning this week, on the way to work, I saw 2 old timers. it was still dark, but 1 was a Chrysler M body (Dodge Diplomat or 1 of its cousins), and in my rear view mirror, I saw the front of a full-size Cadillac sedan, mid-80's is my guess, and then I noticed I have seen a few old timers on the road at different times during this not so snowy winter.
So do you wait for spring or drive it if the roads look clear?

Last edited:
I drive my 88 Aries wagon nearly everyday.Its my main wheels.I hope to get a project Rampage this spring to have when finished as a 2nd option.The salt has little effect on the Ks underbody.But I check it out in the spring and touch up any undercoating that has dried up and fallen off.

Define "old car."
smile.gif

I'd look real close at the spring pockets on the twist rear axle on FWD Chryslers.

Salt and dirt sit in the lower spring mount and cause rust thru on the load bearing steel. Needs a good wash out. Dirt and soil hold water a long time to promote rust and salt makes it worse. Good luck!

We haven't had much in the way of snow or ice here this season either and I have seen some old cars out on the road that would normally be sitting in a cozy garage.
We've also had an unusual amount of rain this January, with more than 3" of rain so far to wash any road salt away.
If past is prologue, and in Ohio it never is, we might be in for an early spring.
We might also get smacked hard over the next eight weeks when we typically have potentially bad winter weather.
I'm hoping for the former but am resigned to the latter.

Today, I took out my 1999 Camaro SS for 15 miles. It was last out on Dec 28th. I'd rather move all the fluids around every 2-4 weeks if possible. The extra mileage is minimal. I'd define "old car" as anything you drive sparingly and are trying to preserve. For me, I'm not going to muck up the car in lousy weather only to have to spend 4-6 hours in cleaning it up...and not getting it all where tight crevices exist.

I take advantage of dry roads here in SE Connecticut where multiple rain storms flush most of the sand/salt off the roads. The last 3 winters have been mild enough that getting the car out every couple weeks from Dec through Jan has been fairly easy. Last time I was snowbound for over a month was Jan-March 2012. I think last year or the one before I was out every 1-2 weeks. From 1992-2004 I had a number of nice 1960's vintage Mopars that saw action every few weeks during each winter when roads were clear. Drive 'em I say.

I keep an eye on those axle/coil mounts.....they are solid and in good shape.There actually is a hole drilled in the middle of them to drain out water...but I guess that doesn't always work.I've been driving this car since May 2010....

Originally Posted By: tomlct
Here in southern CT, the winter has been not so snowy, with several stretches when the roads don't have any visible snow or slush or salt (I hope). So, this winter, unlike past ones, on a few weekends, I have taken my 1988 Dodge Aries wagon out for a 20-30 mile drive. It's not a daily driver so I would not take it out on newly-salted roads or anything like that.
One morning this week, on the way to work, I saw 2 old timers. it was still dark, but 1 was a Chrysler M body (Dodge Diplomat or 1 of its cousins), and in my rear view mirror, I saw the front of a full-size Cadillac sedan, mid-80's is my guess, and then I noticed I have seen a few old timers on the road at different times during this not so snowy winter.

What color is yours?

This is my first year having an "old car" as laid out by the definition above. The 96 has finally retired to weekend/summer status and its enjoying a nice hibernation this year!
smile.gif

The official name of the shade was "Rosewood Pearl Metallic". Not exactly pink, but a color you used to see on Chryslers with maroon color interiors. Now, sadly, it's pretty faded, and if I can manage the expense of it, some day the dream is for a repaint.

The official name of the shade was "Rosewood Pearl Metallic". Not exactly pink, but a color you used to see on Chryslers with maroon color interiors. Now, sadly, it's pretty faded, and if I can manage the expense of it, some day the dream is for a repaint.

Same color as mine! Red interior....bucket seats,column shift.No tilt but had add on cruise control.Originally had AC but it was in bad shape when I got it so I ripped it out.

Depends on your definition of "old car." But to me the S10 and Expedition is old enough. The S10 gets run atleast once a week, if not more. If it snows, not so much. Even with offroad tires, Detroit locker, and 300lbs of sand in the back it won't even make it up the driveway with 1/2". The Expedition gets driven as much, but not as much when there's salt on the roads. Its been down South for 15 years, so it's super clean underneath.

I stopped driving old cars in the winter here in CT. This liquid de-icer just wrecks them in no time.

Here is the last "classic" i used as a wintercrasher. 84 granfury with studded snow tires in 2012 or 13.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
I daily my 87 f250. Only drawback is that it takes pretty long to get 8 gallons of coolant warmed up so that the heater works.

But you can't really call your weather "winter"...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Chris142
I daily my 87 f250. Only drawback is that it takes pretty long to get 8 gallons of coolant warmed up so that the heater works.

But you can't really call your weather "winter"...
it gets cold here. Cold to me. Coldest I have seen was 4f. 15-20f is more normal winter weather and fridged to me

Temperature, perhaps, though still a good 50 or 60 degrees warmer than I've seen in Winnipeg...

But I think the OP was questioning whether you would drive your old car in snow and salt, neither of which are applicable...

In the winter I drive my ti at least once a week- as long as the roads are dry or else wet but above freezing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back