pennzoil add pack falling out

Status
Not open for further replies.
store your bottles upside down. Then the residue will be in the cap & you can swipe the goop with your finger into the engine.

Orrrr..... Maybe that oil goop is like the dentritus on the bottom of a wine bottle (junk)

I've never had SOPUS products appear hazy but I've had the "residue" several times in their GTL oils. This is why I mentioned I'm not convinced it's a additive pack issue in the way it's being portrayed here. It's a fixed "residue" and definitely doesn't go into suspension...and in my experience, usually appears as a coffee brown streak(s)at the bottom of the jug. Being this has been repeated in jugs of Pennzoil Platinum I've purchased, I'm assuming this is the same issue the OP is referring to...

My brain synapse wouldn't be firing if I have to assign "good","bad", or "otherwise" quality until I know what it is...it's never effected the performance of the oil as far as I can tell. Storing or shaking has nothing to do with this issue as it's basically affixed to the bottom of the jug in small amounts. It kind of reminds me of Americans hating vinegar with the cloudy mother in it and they only want the clear, pasteurized dead version which is both less flavorful and less healthy. The oil itself is perfectly clear.

The OP mentions "stuff" at the bottle of the bottle and then someone mentions black soot and it's suddenly black residue we're looking for, etc. Call me naive, but I can see the possibility of this as a relatively normal occurrence in search of a proper explanation. I'm not an apologist for SOPUS as much as I am shackled with the experience that this has occurred in several jugs of Platinum GTL oil I've purchased so I tend to think of it as "normal" and not necessarily a "quality" issue or add pack falling out.

I've seen cloudiness in PP I've poured in as well as residue in the containers.
Having said that, I'll add that I've never had any problems in running PP and I've even posted a few nice looking UOAs of it here as have many others.
This used to be my go-to oil, but there are so many other choices that beg to be tried.
I've never had any problems of any kind with any SOPUS oil, but then I haven't with the products of any other blender either.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

The gunk is Base additive to boost TBN as high as possible.

Quote:
The response from pennzoil
Hibnello:

Finding sediment or deposits at the bottom of new bottles of motor oil is a common and harmless occurrence in all conventional and synthetic motor oil products in the market today. This may occur regardless of the base oil used and does not negatively impact the performance of a motor oil.

Most often, the sediment found is a by-product of a type of nanotechnology used in motor oils to keep the pH balance correct in storage, and then in use inside a motor. The practice is commonly referred to as over-basing a motor oil and is designed to account for the acids formed in an engine during the combustion process.

Periodically, some cosmetic dropout from motor oil is observed in a bottle, and that is most typically due to the result of effective nanotechnology in action, or the slow release of over-based detergents to help neutralize acids. Motor oil formulations are highly specified to help reduce the incidence, but ultimately over time some harmless molecular dropout will occur.

The filtration process employed when formulating the motor oils removes much of the sediment, and then once in use in an engine, any remaining particles are removed through normal operation.

Regards,

Interesting. I've never noticed any cloudiness in PP that I recall. My guess is that this issue is closer to "much ado about nothing" than it is a potentially fatal flaw...but it would be nice to get something other than what appears like a canned answer from Pennzoil.

I noticed the same thing with some Prestone Power Steering fluid recently, gunk on the bottom of the container. Shaking the container got rid of it.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

The gunk is Base additive to boost TBN as high as possible.

Quote:
The response from pennzoil
Hibnello:

Finding sediment or deposits at the bottom of new bottles of motor oil is a common and harmless occurrence in all conventional and synthetic motor oil products in the market today. This may occur regardless of the base oil used and does not negatively impact the performance of a motor oil.

Most often, the sediment found is a by-product of a type of nanotechnology used in motor oils to keep the pH balance correct in storage, and then in use inside a motor. The practice is commonly referred to as over-basing a motor oil and is designed to account for the acids formed in an engine during the combustion process.

Periodically, some cosmetic dropout from motor oil is observed in a bottle, and that is most typically due to the result of effective nanotechnology in action, or the slow release of over-based detergents to help neutralize acids. Motor oil formulations are highly specified to help reduce the incidence, but ultimately over time some harmless molecular dropout will occur.

The filtration process employed when formulating the motor oils removes much of the sediment, and then once in use in an engine, any remaining particles are removed through normal operation.

Regards,

Well slap me silly, nanotechnology, who knew! Me thinks those little disgruntled nanites are planning a revolution.

There's always some dirt in oil (I once found weld splatter in a bottle of M1), but also, over a relatively long period of time, moly will react with detergent to form an insoluble. It's the role of detergent - to form insolubles with polar molecules. Your oil filter will filter it out.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY : Pennzoil says the gunk is Base additive to boost TBN as high as possible. It gradually falls out.

I checked my amsoil bottles.
No sign of any sludge on the bottom.
Of course the oil came direct from the factory, so it's fresh.

Originally Posted By: ndfergy
My sentiments also; they're not the only game in town. Any brand would be on my sh*t list if I discovered any crud at the bottom of the bottle. Two strikes and you're out.

I found some sediment over they years in just about every brand I tried at one time or another. I think a way to eliminate the problem, if it is really a problem is to buy oil when you need it and not stock pile it. Then buy oil like buying milk, check the date codes in the store and grab the newest stuff on the shelf. That might be a good way to resolve this.

FWIW I recently warmed up three quarts of December 2013 PU 0w-40 with hot water, and shook them vigorously the night before pouring them into my Lexus. Found nothing interesting at the bottom of the bottles.

I should've left one alone as a control group...

Seems like some sort of OCD thing about stuff "settling out". Most of the oil I use comes in drums. I have a number of drums of various oils that sit for some time before getting all used up. Haven't really taken the time to shine a flashlight down into a freshly emptied drum and worry about it. I am sure that there has been some stuff that might have "settled" similar to what others here mention going on with bottles and jugs. But I have not read any problems that resulted from it. All my engines seem to be doing just fine. Some with a lot of hours/miles on them.

Originally Posted By: mooferz
FWIW I recently warmed up three quarts of December 2013 PU 0w-40 with hot water, and shook them vigorously the night before pouring them into my Lexus. Found nothing interesting at the bottom of the bottles.

That's a good idea. Before oil changes, maybe we should put our bottles in an egg poacher, double boiler, or Dutch oven, as dictated by container size.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
There's a guy here running vintage Quaker State in his '73 240z.

Not sure if it was shaken before installation, but clearly, add pack fallout isn't an issue.

I let it sit in the sun for several hours and shook the cans well before adding it but yeah, i'm not worried about it.

Worth putting up again.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsletters/Gas-Diesel/April-1-2012.php?utm_source=Gas%2FDiesel+List&utm_campaign=b284759b87-&utm_medium=email

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back