shipping from Canada to USA 1 month?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i ordered something from Canada naively thinking it would be delivered in 1 week. 2 weeks later i emailed the place and they told me regular shipping takes 20 business days. that's almost full month. I get most of Chinese ebay shipments under a month. what's going on? anyone orders anything from Canada?

It depends how its being shipped to you. Which carrier? Our USpS equivalent is Canada Post which shouldnt be that long but sometimes using UPSor Fedex will hang at customs for awhile. IF i order from usa to canada I try to use USPS which changes hands to Canada Postbut its usually fast-ish vs using other carriers.

Is it being shipped via ground? Maybe delayed at customs as well.

Do you know where in Canada it was coming from? If it wasn't Toronto or Montreal, then it might take a little longer as well.

Last edited:
I used to work at a DVD distribution company, and it wasn't out of the norm for something passing through Customs from the U.S. into Canada to take 2-3 weeks.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Share the tracking information so we can get a better idea of what's going on.

no tracking. i had a choice of $20 express mail (2-3 days). or free regular mail with no tracking. i thought this was non-brainer. not so sure anymore. last time i ordered something from canada was 10 years ago. i honestly don't remember how long it took, but my guess is a week (im pretty sure it was fedex and shipping was pricey).

Cross border shipping time and cost is a joke! I no longer order anything from the USA as l seem to be able to get it shipped quicker and cheaper from anywhere else in the world.

Heck, I have bought stuff from Russia that has arrived far quicker than I could get it from Seattle (and I can see Washington State from my house!)

Somehow I don't see thing getting better in the foreseeable future 8-(

I have a small business that ships all over the world. Despite the proximity, Canada's postal service is consistently one of the slowest to and from the US. No kidding, our stuff is delivered in Europe and Australia much quicker than in Canada.

That said, I have Canadian customers tell me they get shipments faster from us than when they order from some Canadian companies, so the crazy fast shipping turn around US customers are accustomed to may not be the norm up there. You may be dealing with more delay than just one is my point.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I have a small business that ships all over the world. Despite the proximity, Canada's postal service is consistently one of the slowest to and from the US. No kidding, our stuff is delivered in Europe and Australia much quicker than in Canada.

That said, I have Canadian customers tell me they get shipments faster from us than when they order from some Canadian companies, so the crazy fast shipping turn around US customers are accustomed to may not be the norm up there. You may be dealing with more delay than just one is my point.

good points!

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

good points!

Typically not long inside our country..the issue is customs on both sides of the border. I usually get UPS in montreal from Vancouver BC in 2-3 business days.so not bad..would be equivalent would be california to maine in terms of distance. Ive done shipping to within the USA and within Canada and its very similar turnaround time for receiving packages.Once it comes down to passing customs is the only delay. If you use USPS it will pass customs faster into Canada..as would it be faster if Canada Post is used to US shipping. Fedex, dhl, ups..forget about it..long customs delays and high costs involved.

Who are you using to ship to Canada?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
no tracking. i had a choice of $20 express mail (2-3 days). or free regular mail with no tracking. i thought this was non-brainer. not so sure anymore.

Without tracking the seller has no way to prove the item was delivered to you (i.e. no way to protect himself). I'm surprised they agreed to that. I used to ship to Canada w/o tracking until two Canadians claimed "nonreceipt" so now I never ship internationally except with Delivery Confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back