Fix for vehicles without magnetic drain plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
If any of my vehicles do not have a magnetic drain plug for any of the drain plugs I epoxy a samarian cobalt magnet to the drain plug. I feel comfortable with the incredible attaching power of this rear earth magnet that it can stand alone but feel more comfortable to use the epoxy as a backup. I attached the magnet to the drain plug then put the epoxy around the edge as I don't want to have any interference under the magnet with sticking power.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a good idea. How much metal do you get on the plug when you remove it?

I add a few rare earth magnets when I drop the tranny pan. They do catch a lot of that goop. My civic has the magnetic drain plug and that does get a good amount of stuff on it.

I realize that a magnetic drain plug has value but with so many engines running well past the life of the car, I wonder if it's the most necessary thing for an engine. My wish is for a filter capable of capturing all the soot that's in a DI engines' oil as soot does serious damage to chains, actuators etc.

Having said all that blather, I have had cars that had both the mag / non mag drains plugs and the mag drain plugs do have a slight amount of metallic "paste" on them on 5k OCIs. If that engine had a non mag plug, how much difference it would make, I don't know. Perhaps some of our members that are of the extended drain sect here can chime in as they may experience way more debris on their magnetic drain plugs.

Interesting discussion point....

I ordered a hundred neo magnets from ebay and use them in every thing. They are a good way to keep Fe particles at least away from your oil pump. Stuck 3 on my dipstick (Harleys dipstick ) and have roughly 1000% less particles on the magnet with Napa gold vs silver, leading me to believe the cries of leaky combo valve is true.

I have used magnetic drain plugs for years. Necessary, no. But I like using them anyway.

I get more filings from the automatic transmission than I do from any of the other drivetrain, less or non-existent from the rear. I had a Honda Accord years ago with a factory magnetic transmission drain plug and every 30k change, that plug was a furry chia pet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back