using a 10w60 oil in a Ducati

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose I better put this on a separate thread. I am a bit of an experimenter and tried Castrol Edge 10w60 in my Ducati 900SS which has a tendence to get rather hot in the summer when ridden as intended. In short the bike liked it. The gear change was nice and the oil light went out pretty sharpish when starting a hot motor. Then Biltema, a cut price motor parts chain here in Scandinavia, started their selling a 10w60 so I tried it. Same results so I compared the spec sheet for the Biltema oil and Castrol edge. There wasn't much difference, generally the Edge was a little thinner. Anyway here is the info from the spec sheet, I would appreciate any enlightened opinion on the oil.

http://www.biltema.no/BiltemaDocuments/TechnicalDataSheets/36677_TDS.pdf

I used Castrol Edge 10W60 in my Honda CBR600 for 10 years straight (annual or 10k KM oil changes). It was great, ran smooth and always a good gear change. Whenever checked, the valve clearances were always in spec and didn't need changing. When I sold it, the engine & gear box were still all factory original and tight as a drum (as commented by many who inspected it).

I ran Castrol RS 10w60 in my old CBR 1000F SC24 (bought new in the crate) for 240,000 Km without any issues. Its still running today with over 300K on it with the guy I sold it to. I also ran it in the CBR 1100XX for years until I sold it also with no problems. Neither used any measurable oil.
These engines saw daily extended run times at over 9,000 RPM and 240Kmh for over a decade without failure, I took the engine apart on the SC24 at over 200K to change the cam chain and all parts were within new spec and compression was 190lb on all 4, spec is 182 +-29lb so i would say it did the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back