Choice for chevy V8 filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about in need of another case of oil filters for my two Chevy trucks. I got a 15% coupon online through Pep Boys today. They have a ProLine 34631 filter with discount for $2.80 each.
The Delco 1218 for $3.56
And purolator Classic (using now) for $3.99

Any suggestions on those 3? Or others, but cost is a player too.
Yhanks,
Mark

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Whatever you want to get.

You can get fram ph373 for under 5 bucks on rock auto if you want to go oversized.
ya but make sure to prefill that bad boy.

thanks for the quick replies. I did not even mention the Fram because last time I read a lot about oil filters they were getting slammed pretty hard. I have seen the long a 2-quart filters but I don't think i will go that far yet. I will look into Advance Auto if I can find one close by. I don't recall seeing one anywhere around my home. Looks like the 1218 Delco is the winner. Used them years ago.

I just remembered there is a Advance Auto Parts not far from here. And it is halfway between me and Fry's Electronics where I also want to go this morning it's a win-win. And I also remember there is a building at the End of the Street that used to be a Checker Auto Parts that is now going to be an Advance Auto Parts. That will make for auto parts stores within a quarter of a mile of my house. I pretty much have that covered

Originally Posted By: 1977c10phxdriver
thanks for the quick replies. I did not even mention the Fram because last time I read a lot about oil filters they were getting slammed pretty hard. I have seen the long a 2-quart filters but I don't think i will go that far yet. I will look into Advance Auto if I can find one close by. I don't recall seeing one anywhere around my home. Looks like the 1218 Delco is the winner. Used them years ago.
The PF1218 will be an Ecore, the PF1218CL will be a standard metal center tube design. Ecores seem to have improved, but YMMV. I would cut the first one you use open after a short OCI & have a look, myself.

I just checked the store closest to me is completely out of everything you guys have listed. The most I can get is two about 10 miles from my house. I think I will have to wait a few days and see if they replenish their stock. I just change the oil and I have one new filter left so I'm good for a while. Advance Auto did not show the 1218CL at all for my truck just a plain 1218. I may need to call them to double-check. Thanks again

Numerous BITOG autopsies confirm the Purolator Classic should be avoided. The wet paper media tears away from the end cap leaving a hole during use. So I would go with the ACDelco.

I am about in need of another case of oil filters for my two Chevy trucks. I got a 15% coupon online through Pep Boys today. They have a ProLine 34631 filter with discount for $2.80 each.
The Delco 1218 for $3.56
And purolator Classic (using now) for $3.99

Any suggestions on those 3? Or others, but cost is a player too.
Yhanks,
Mark

Me, I don't get excited for 15 percent off and would only buy what is needed today. I would go with AC as long as they aren't those plastic caged filters.

I just checked the store closest to me is completely out of everything you guys have listed. The most I can get is two about 10 miles from my house. I think I will have to wait a few days and see if they replenish their stock. I just change the oil and I have one new filter left so I'm good for a while. Advance Auto did not show the 1218CL at all for my truck just a plain 1218. I may need to call them to double-check. Thanks again

PF1218 and PF1218CL are the same filter application application. Its the guts inside that are different. The CL is the "classic" style and the non-CL is the ecore. They started making classic filters for people who didn't want to run E-core. They are interchangeable.

If you go to rockauto.com you can buy them for $3.26 plus a 5% off discount. After shipping its like 4bux a filter if you buy 6.

Last edited:
thanks for the quick replies. I did not even mention the Fram because last time I read a lot about oil filters they were getting slammed pretty hard.

Apparently not been reading up on filters lately ... and must have also missed all the Purolator tearing talk over the last 2 years also.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
thanks for the quick replies. I did not even mention the Fram because last time I read a lot about oil filters they were getting slammed pretty hard.

Apparently not been reading up on filters lately ... and must have also missed all the Purolator tearing talk over the last 2 years also.
grin.gif

Yes, been gone for quite a while. Triple bypass, lost my business then trying to get on dissability. Finally getting back a little at a time.
I stopped in at AAP to ck, all they sell are a cheap "house" brand and a cheap Wix and a good one, very pricey. I'll go back to the Delco PF1218CL.
I'll go to Rock Auto, thanks
Mark

^^^ Welcome back ... be careful of Rock Auto, some here don't always get what they think they're getting.

Half dozen on the way. $4.75 each w/shipping

I'd like to see what you get. The last AC filter I got from Rock Auto (a PF47) was from LONG before the E-core days. It's in a very old & weathered box.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Half dozen on the way. $4.75 each w/shipping

I'd like to see what you get. The last AC filter I got from Rock Auto (a PF47) was from LONG before the E-core days. It's in a very old & weathered box.

Geee, thanks! LoL I'm not feeling so good all of a sudden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back