Clutch time

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, not me...father in law. While fairly impressed how well it has held up, the clutch in his turbocharged Pinto is pretty much done. It's a stock-replacement for a 1987 Turbo Coupe, and the drag launches finally cooked it.

It's been a while since I had anything to do with a clutch in anything but a large pickup...and I don't think LUK makes Turbo Coupe parts. So...who makes a good clutch kit? Not from China would be great.

I used a LUK rep set on the Rat. I mostly wanted a set up that wouldn't make my left knee hurt. I didn't even know LUK existed before I started reading. I rejected Centerforce because they seem to be liked by the go fast guys. The Turbo 4 was used in T Birds and is a drop in for a 4 cyl Ranger. LUK clutch gets my vote. I drove old trucks with horrendous mechanical clutches. I went in figuring that I would just replace a clutch disk. Everything from the RMS out to the pedal arm is new.

Does LUK make a HD clutch for a Turbo Coupe? The only one I have found looks like a stock replacement.

Anyone familiar with the Stinger Performance clutch kits?

A 9 inch clutch is more than enough for 190HP its the drag strip starts that are killing it but it would any clutch, its the nature of the beast.
Running a leg breaker just makes it miserable to drive and not much more. Either the LUK or Sachs will perform well in that car, if he want a drag clutch then it could use a metallic clutch with pucks but that's going to be a PITA on the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back