Anybody use Shell Rotella T1 SAE 40 in boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
160 T stat only needed in salt water to slow corrosion. If you are running fresh water lakes, you can go to 180 and it'll run better
smile.gif

We have forty Detroit 16V71 engines at work that run pumps when we have heavy rain so we dont flood. Sometimes they run for 5-6 days at a time. We run Rotella T1 straight 40 at 300 hr intervals with Baldwin B95 oil filters and not a lick of trouble. We maintain them well.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
We have forty Detroit 16V71 engines at work that run pumps when we have heavy rain so we dont flood. Sometimes they run for 5-6 days at a time. We run Rotella T1 straight 40 at 300 hr intervals with Baldwin B95 oil filters and not a lick of trouble. We maintain them well.

The T1 is perfect for a Detroit Diesel 2 Stroke, I'd want something more robust for a 4 Stroke boat (gas or diesel). I have a sincere love for the 2 Stroke Detroits I own one and want to collect a few more. IMHO nothing sounds better than a Detroit 2 Stroke at full tilt boogie on the governor, preferably with a good load on it.

There was, is, and always be good applications for straight wieghts.
Marine is still on that list.

I live in michigan, and used sae30/40 in the boat.

My bayliner I ran over a decade before I purchased, then I owned five years.
1980 Islander 28' gm350. It seen pcmo 5/10w-30 or hd30 till I started service, well over 15 years.
First 5 years was hdeo 15w-40, ussually pennzoil.
Last 10 years before I sold it it got straight 30/40 hdeo only. Ussually HD40, heck it left with virgin pail of mystic HD40. So four more seasons for that beast.

harvey

I'm running NMMA 5w30 in outboards - all the way up to 15w40 (high TBN marine oil) in massive ship engines ...
(Both OEM oils)

my area has bath water for summer water temps. all the shops around here use 20w50 or 15w40

i use 15W40, and sleep well at night.

the local sherifs service-barge ( for fires/dives/maintenance ) uses 20w50 since it started comsuming 15w40 2 years ago. it also runs 8-48 hrs straight when in use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back