The Continentals on my 2015 Civic..HORRIBLE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Olas
I don't know why more Americans don't use Yokohama rubber - you guys are missing out!

I remember running Yokohama AVS Intermediates on my King Motorsports 91 CRX Si...like glued on the pavement...did they replace this model with a new one?

So much speculation. I've been thru this with my rough riding Accords and the most comfortable tire is the Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Grand Touring. More comfortable than the Michelins. See the tire rack reviews to and note the top 5 tires for comfort for possible options. Hope this helps.

I had OEM ProContacts on my Focus, they were definitely not the best tire I've ran. They were noisy, wet and snow traction was poor. I replaced them at 41K 3/32 this fall, with continental pure contacts. Man what a difference, the car's traction control definitely kicks in a lot sooner and rides much better. Grip in snow and icy conditions have exceeded my expectations.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Man what a difference, the car's traction control definitely kicks in a lot sooner and rides much better.

That's not a good thing, you know.

BC.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
So much speculation. I've been thru this with my rough riding Accords and the most comfortable tire is the Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Grand Touring. More comfortable than the Michelins. See the tire rack reviews to and note the top 5 tires for comfort for possible options. Hope this helps.

I would steer clear of comfort treads if you live near someplace with snow. I had one on an old Malibu and they suuuuccccked in the snow.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Man what a difference, the car's traction control definitely kicks in a lot sooner and rides much better.

BC.

It completely depends on the scenario to whether or not its good or not. I should rephrase though, the original meaning was that the car does not spin the tires or slide near as much as it use to.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

BC.

It completely depends on the scenario to whether or not its good or not. I should rephrase though, the original meaning was that the car does not spin the tires or slide near as much as it use to.

Because it turns on TC or not.
If your TC is working too much, either you have too much power, or tires are POS.

Comfort is subjective, I find tires that have stiffer walls more comfortable because they do not flex in curves that much.
But one thing is for sure, Good Year is not premium manufacturer last 15 or so years. They have so many issues with structure of the tire that is it ridiculous.
It is this American approach to business, cut cost, cut cost, until they hit the point where there is nothing to cut anymore literally, all in the name of fast profits and CEO bonuses.

The op wants a specific tire recommendation for a smoother ride in his Honda. As a Honda owner I've had the same issue and the smoothest tire I've run I the GYA comforted touring. You're just making a general statement and you don't appear to own a Honda. I did not like the GY fuel max tires that came on my Accord but the ComfortTred Grand Tourings smoothed my ride.

The op wants a specific tire recommendation for a smoother ride in his Honda. As a Honda owner I've had the same issue and the smoothest tire I've run I the GYA comforted touring. You're just making a general statement and you don't appear to own a Honda. I did not like the GY fuel max tires that came on my Accord but the ComfortTred Grand Tourings smoothed my ride.

True, I do not own Honda.
My in laws own Pilot, and I tend to drive it a lot when visiting them. They had GY Fortera (something like that on Pilot) and now they put Michelin premier LTX on a car on my recommendation. The difference is night and day. Comfort, a bit better Michelin, but performance wise it is light years ahead.
On other hand, I owned numerous GY tires in Europe, winter too. They were fantastic tires until 15years ago when they started to decline. When I moved here in 2005, based on my GY preference, I purchased on my first car I got her GY tire. 10K after, they could not get balanced anymore. Thought it is anomaly. For next car purchased GY F1, same issue after 15K, they replaced with same model under warranty, again same issue. After that I am not touching GY with remote control anymore.

Understand. I'm just passing along my experience to the op. The Comfortreds rode better than Michelins on my Accord.Just my experience.

Understand. I'm just passing along my experience to the op. The Comfortreds rode better than Michelins on my Accord.Just my experience.

ah but which Michelin tires? If they were OEM tires they were spec'ed by honda..

The same complaint the OP has about his OEM contis.

Quote:
I think they were Primacy MXV4's. Years ago.

My guess is they were the Energy MXV4 as opposed to the Primacy MXV4. The Energy were OEM on Honda Accord, 7th gen. Without using specific Energy name I referenced them in my earlier post here. They were worn out at ~30k miles. Having owned and driven both, Primacy MXV4 in a completely different class IME.

I wouldn't blame the OP for avoiding Continental's after that OEM tire experience, but I can recommend the Continental PureContact's that I have on my 10th gen Corolla. 32K miles and still good ride and great traction in rain or dry. I can't speak to Snow traction because I use Winter tires, but the "S" of "DWS" is still clearly readable after that 32K miles, and they have good snow ratings.

Much better tires than the Primacy MXV4's they replaced. Those Michelin tires had a good ride but got loud and lost all wet traction at 30K miles. They probably would have lasted forever given the tread depth and even wear, but when I replaced them at 62K miles I was fearing for my life every time a raindrop fell.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: flinter
I disagree! The first 12,000 miles or so the ride quality was MUCH better than now! You guys are misinformed here. The current gen Civic are nice compliant smooth riding cars! You are thinking of the 2012 and earlier, before Honda reworked the suspension.

If you compare to old Civic maybe. But you can get so much comfort from such a small car.
As for Continental, those are tires made specifically for Honda using Honda parameters. Buy same tires made by Continental for aftermarket sale and it will be different story.

I agree as an owner of a 15 Civic. It is a pretty good car as ride comfort goes for this segment, one of the best IMO. It is tuned more to be a baby Accord, rather than a sporty compact. Mine came with Firestones which rode pretty well and made it to 45k miles but with poor traction. Replaced with Cooper CS5, which are noisier and not as smooth but grip better.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Yes, very typical experience.

Looks at the Michelin Premier or Pirelli P7 as replacements.

Both will provide huge improvements in comfort, noise, traction.

I agree with the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back