New-to-me Desert Eagle 1911 G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right under the slide lock....when you assemble it correctly, that scratch will never happen.

I tell all of my kids/grandkids; if you find yourself reaching for a tool to disassemble, stop and review what you're doing and then proceed only if a tool is required.

Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
Right under the slide lock....when you assemble it correctly, that scratch will never happen.

I tell all of my kids/grandkids; if you find yourself reaching for a tool to disassemble, stop and review what you're doing and then proceed only if a tool is required.
Scratches on guns? I wear mine guns out and they look like poop I never care about scratches.

Those are amazingly well put together 1911's. Made in Israel by Bul, a company with a long history of 1911 production, and also the maker of the Baby Desert Eagles.

The ones I have tried out have an awesome trigger. I almost got one instead of my Auto Ord Thompson Custom. THe only reason I didn't is that HUGE rollmark kills it for me. I guess I am not the only one as reports are now coming out of more subdued marks.

Enjoy the gun.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: Fleetmon

Scratches on guns? I wear mine guns out and they look like poop I never care about scratches.

I put an "idiot mark" on mine ("Loaded" Stainless Springfield Armory) too. I don't really see how it can be avoided if you disassemble the gun often enough.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I put an "idiot mark" on mine ("Loaded" Stainless Springfield Armory) too. I don't really see how it can be avoided if you disassemble the gun often enough.

You can use a small piece of Scotch Tape to prevent it. They even sell plastic "Idiot Scratch Preventers" that work very well.

What can make or break how easily, or how difficult reinstalling a slide stop can be, is what is referred to as "tolerance stacking". The 1911 pistol is more prone to this than most other pistols are. The hole location for the slide stop itself in the frame. The position of the slide stop plunger. And the distance on the slide stop itself, from the centerline of the slide stop pin that goes through the frame, to the end of the slide stop where it engages the spring loaded plunger. The distance the plunger pin sticks out can also effect this operation.

If all of the tolerances on the weapon are stacked one way, it can make installing the slide stop very difficult. Because these differences add up to all work against you by limiting clearances. If everything is manufactured exactly right, (which is rarely the case), installing the slide stop can be effortless. It just depends on the gun. And high priced 1911's are not immune to this. I have a $357.00 Rock Island Armory 9 MM, 1911 that the slide stop all but falls into place. I also have a $1,500.00 Springfield Trophy Match that is a complete PITA to get the slide stop reinserted. It's basically luck of the draw.

This has been addressed by many gunsmiths, by filing a shallow groove into the slide stop itself. This makes the slide stop easy to get past the spring plunger. Many 1911 gunsmiths will file in this groove as a standard procedure when working on 1911 pistols. This shows the location and size of the groove. And makes it easy to see how this remedies a difficult to install slide stop.

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248470

I have a few of them and have never scratched one myself but then again, my dad showed me how. I've seen the plastic protector and imagine it works well too.

Last edited:
@Kira.....that was only a joke about the slide rattling.....I thought a bunch of folks would write in calling mudstuff on rattling slides on a DE.....that just don't happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back