GM Lordstown are employee layoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
The previous generation Cruze was nicer looking than the current Cruze.

These employees will just have to look for employment elsewhere until GM / UAW calls them back to work.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
After the way 1-800-Chevy Customer Care or whatever the H--- the number was, treated me on trying to resolve a transmission problem on my 14,000 mile 2007 HHR back in '08, I'll *Never* buy GM again. What a bunch of a-holes and while I feel sorry for the workers, I feel zero pain for their corporate side and actually relish hearing any news that might put a GM exec out of a job while enhancing or otherwise benefiting one of their competitors. [censored] GM.

You mad bro?
lol.gif

No one is buying small cars w/ $2.00+ gas right now. GM is shooting itself in the foot (and killing the goose that laid the golden egg) by cutting the domestic parts content. People see that and won't buy a "domestic" with the parts content in the 30% range.

Last edited:
The Japanese have the small car market - GM and Ford seem to regard the sub compact-midsize car market as a loss leader. Their money is to be had in trucks. Although Ford has done a good job with the current Focus and Fusion, and the Cruze is lightyears ahead of the Cavalier and Cobalt.

GM doesn't have a worthy RAV4/CR-V competitor as well, I was in a Chevy Trax and I thought meh, nothing special.

Originally Posted By: nthach
GM doesn't have a worthy RAV4/CR-V competitor as well, I was in a Chevy Trax and I thought meh, nothing special.

Although somewhat larger, the Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain are GM's competitors to the CR-V and the RAV4 and the CX-5. I think the Trax is in the same segment as the HR-V and the CX-3.

As far as whether GM's offerings are "worthy" competitors to the CR-V and the RAV4 -- I think they certainly are...they just offer a different take on the small SUV market. They drive and feel like larger vehicles. There are pros and cons to that -- it just depends on what you want in a vehicle.

Simple answer - SUV's. My plant is on MAX overtime, running 7 days a week, 3 shifts building Tahoes/Yukons/Suburbans/Denali/Escalade. We still cannot make enough the demand is so strong. We have been running like this for YEARS. The market for small cars is soft - the Cruze is a good car. The layoff is temporary to adjust the field supply of cars to demand. Once the field supply lowers, they will resume. Just plain economics - nothing to do with the car or Toyota.

Last edited:
The Japanese have the small car market - GM and Ford seem to regard the sub compact-midsize car market as a loss leader. Their money is to be had in trucks. Although Ford has done a good job with the current Focus and Fusion, and the Cruze is lightyears ahead of the Cavalier and Cobalt.

The Buick version of the Trax, the Encore, is much better executed and is pretty nice.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
The Buick version of the Trax, the Encore, is much better executed and is pretty nice.

Never driven either, but I definitely see more Encores than Trax which supports this.

Cruze, a good car?! What are you smoking?! Must be the same thing I am. :)

Last edited:
Simple answer - SUV's. My plant is on MAX overtime, running 7 days a week, 3 shifts building Tahoes/Yukons/Suburbans/Denali/Escalade. We still cannot make enough the demand is so strong. We have been running like this for YEARS. The market for small cars is soft - the Cruze is a good car. The layoff is temporary to adjust the field supply of cars to demand. Once the field supply lowers, they will resume. Just plain economics - nothing to do with the car or Toyota.

I just looked and it seems the 2011 Cruze is right up my alley. It is offered in Eco with a manual trans. There is also a 1.6T it seems that had 180+ hp, but lookng at pics it seems it is just too crowded under the hood. The 2011 front end styling is the only one tht looks good to me. It keeps gong downhill and then the new body style is a car I dont want in my field of vision. There is this older white,RS I think, Cruze parked near my house and it always is nice to look at. I loved seeing a yellow G5 that was down the treet before she moved.

As far as production GMBoy, I am sorry to hear your plant has to operate continually. Where do all these cars go? I know the rust eats many in the northeast and some are totalled in wrecks- but it just seems by now we would be 'caught up' and have a car or two for everyone in the country.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

As far as production GMBoy, I am sorry to hear your plant has to operate continually. Where do all these cars go? I know the rust eats many in the northeast and some are totalled in wrecks- but it just seems by now we would be 'caught up' and have a car or two for everyone in the country.

Why are you sorry a plant is at full production and operates 24/7 ? Great for the economy is what I say.
Depends on the plant capacity. If it is designed for say 100,000 units a year, given the world wide demand for GM SUVs, I would say good on them that demand outstrips production. Less need to discount pricing = more profit.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I just looked and it seems the 2011 Cruze is right up my alley. It is offered in Eco with a manual trans. There is also a 1.6T it seems that had 180+ hp, but lookng at pics it seems it is just too crowded under the hood. The 2011 front end styling is the only one tht looks good to me. It keeps gong downhill and then the new body style is a car I dont want in my field of vision. There is this older white,RS I think, Cruze parked near my house and it always is nice to look at. I loved seeing a yellow G5 that was down the treet before she moved.

'11 and '12 had some teething problems - mine being a '13 is a sweet spot model year between the growing pains and a more sluggish factory tune/less than tasteful styling revamps. The worst problem for the early ones is a batch of bad pistons that would crack at the ring grooves, but I believe those parts are traceable and many will have been fixed under warranty by now. A revised PCV valve and turbo oil supply line are the two other things that came along, both of which are fairly cheap and straightforward to fix yourself if you're so inclined. The Eco's really live up to their name, some people pulling over 45 MPG out of them. Mine is LT trim w/RS package and manual trans. - the Z-link rear suspension upgrade was part of the RS package and I'm glad I have that as well as the trim extras. If you're ever in the market for one, join cruzetalk.com first and you'll find plenty of help in avoiding a dud as you shop. I'm with you, too - part of my attraction to the Cruze was its traditional, proportional lines as opposed to a lot of other stuff that looks like something from the year 2,200 or an insect.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Who came up with this nonsense data and where did you pull it up from.?

I will tell you the experiment I did based on my observation upon landing there, I saw no American vehicles and was quite perplexed.

So we went about doing this over a 5 minute window, me (count Toyota), wife (Hyundai), kids (all american vehicles).

I could ONLY trust what I saw not something pulled up from a search engine!!!!

So the actual sales figures, representing the entire market, are "nonsense" and the narrow sample size you were able to observe in a 5 minute window are gospel. Think about that for a few minutes.

If the work is not there the workers aren't needed. Unlike the government that just raises taxes to keep the non working in the building.

Actually Toyota and Honda do effect the sales as Corolla/Camry and Accord/Civic are in top 10 selling vehicles beyond the CRV and RAV4. I am glad GM is selling high profit SUVs well buts it is a recipe for disaster as evidenced by prior GM history.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I'd like to know myself. They got the bailout from tax dollars, they get tax breaks, they have brought unions well under "control", they have endless commercials with that metro urban rugged bearded guy, their cars win every awards under the sun, all the cars look alike making selection stress free.....all this in their favor.

Surely lil ol Toyota with its shuddering Camry with the nearly 10 year old U660/760E tranny with no dipstick and endlessly stacked rotten truck frames behind dealers cant single handedly bring down GM?
The Camry's a unibody, those stacked frames must be from Fords.

Toyota truck frames.

Improperly made for Toyota by Dana Corp. Dana Corp. lost a multi-million dollar lawsuit to Toyota as a result.

Too bad it's not made in the U.S.

Although Ford has done a good job with the current Focus and Fusion, and the Cruze is lightyears ahead of the Cavalier and Cobalt.

Except the automatic transmission in the Focus is horrible. A large Ford dealer here advertises the Focus for a thousand dollars less than a comparably equipped Fiesta.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

Actually Toyota and Honda do effect the sales as Corolla/Camry and Accord/Civic are in top 10 selling vehicles beyond the CRV and RAV4. I am glad GM is selling high profit SUVs well buts it is a recipe for disaster as evidenced by prior GM history.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but affect is offensive while effect is defensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back