Gasoline with 12.5% Isobutanol Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Gevo, Inc. announced that a 12.5% blend of its bio-isobutanol with gasoline marketed for use in automobiles has begun to be sold in the Houston area………………
Musket Corporation is Gevo’s distribution partner serving the Houston market and is blending the specially formulated gasoline containing Gevo’s isobutanol to distribute into the on-road automobile market. Buc-ee’s, a 37-store regional chain of rest stops in Texas, is the first company to sell the blend, marketed as a high-performance ethanol-free gasoline……...

I did not see any mention of the octane rating of the gasoline.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/11/20161112-gevo.html

Another excerpt:

Quote:
Isobutanol offers a number of properties that are more attractive for a renewable gasoline blendstock than ethanol, including:

Properties of butanol are closer to gasoline than properties of ethanol; e.g. heating value, blending vapor pressure, water tolerance, corrosivity and polarity.

Blending ratio of butanol is higher than that of ethanol within the same oxygen limit, e.g. 3.6 wt-% oxygen is equivalent to 15-16 vol-% of butanol, but 10 vol-% of ethanol.

Compatibility of isobutanol and n-butanol with conventional cars and infrastructure is better than that of ethanol. Butanol is not very aggressive towards materials and phase separation risk is low.

From what I read, ethanol is a scam. It's made from corn and the only ones who benefit are the heavily subsidized corn producers and ethanol industry. It take 1 gallon of diesel fuel to produce 1.25 gallons of ethanol. Why? Because the corn has to be processed and then distilled. In the meantime, all that corn that could have been used for food has been burned up.

It's another thing that sounds good on the surface and is easy to sell to the public. But the only ones who really benefit are the ethanol producers.

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
From what I read, ethanol is a scam. It's made from corn and the only ones who benefit are the heavily subsidized corn producers and ethanol industry. It take 1 gallon of diesel fuel to produce 1.25 gallons of ethanol. Why? Because the corn has to be processed and then distilled. In the meantime, all that corn that could have been used for food has been burned up.

It's another thing that sounds good on the surface and is easy to sell to the public. But the only ones who really benefit are the ethanol producers.

And the crooked politicians that made it so.

Ethanol is bad for the our vehicles and the environment.
I haven't read anything about Butanol hurting engines like ethanol does and it has way more energy, it even costs less to make than ethanol. Win win.

The corn you are referring to is "food" for animals, not humans. And it's not all "burned up" like you stated. The process produces what is called "distillers grain" and is sold to growers for beef production. Many trucks pass through here everyday hauling distillers grain produced by our local ADM energy park. Regards

Originally Posted By: Koz1
Ethanol is bad for the our vehicles and the environment.
I haven't read anything about Butanol hurting engines like ethanol does and it has way more energy, it even costs less to make than ethanol. Win win.

Gasoline costs less to make than either butanol or ethanol. I really don't see why we would be doing anything else. Why are we blending again?

And don't say that it is for the oxygenates. The usefulness of that endeavor has never shown itself.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

Big agribusiness and their contributions to the political hacks.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Leo99

Big agribusiness and their contributions to the political hacks.
Lobby money makes the government go round.

most of todays corn is GMO + not for for human or animal consumption!!! heavily sprayed with monsantos roundup contain gyophospate a CANCER causing chemical!!!!

Originally Posted By: benjy
most of todays corn is GMO + not for for human or animal consumption!!! heavily sprayed with monsantos roundup contain gyophospate a CANCER causing chemical!!!!
Glyphos is sprayed on potatoes and grains to finish then off quicker for harvest. Meat is loaded with Glyphosphate.

I think this is interesting its a 102octane fuel that is much better than ethanol in quite a few ways.

We still have ethanol in everything here.. so bring it on.. and get rid of the ethanol.

As much as I disagree with the crony process that gave us ethanol as a fuel for vehicles, I sure would miss E85 for my big-turbo track car. Without it I would have to add a methanol injection system.

Well from a short read on the internet I can see this industry will face the same hurdles as the ethanol industry. You need a form of biomass to feed the process to produce it. The largest readily available biomass on the planet is corn stover. If you remove the stover from the field you have to replace its nutritional value to be able to grow a crop which will consequently raise the cost to produce corn thus raising prices.

Every form of fuel is a cyclical process to produce it.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I think this is interesting its a 102octane fuel that is much better than ethanol in quite a few ways.

We still have ethanol in everything here.. so bring it on.. and get rid of the ethanol.

The additive is 102 Octane while the fuel being sold at the pump is 87 Octane. Priced above 93 Octaine Premium!

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Originally Posted By: Rand

The additive is 102 Octane while the fuel being sold at the pump is 87 Octane. Priced above 93 Octaine Premium!

Do they mix it with diesel to make 87 octane???
;^)

Are corn flakes or corn bread muffins becoming scarce and cost prohibitive? Even with the ethanol production, there is more than enough corn to meet food needs. Now whether people in other parts of the world can't get it, that is a function of their government and local economics.

And one thing that gets overlooked, is that for every bushel of corn that goes into an ethanol plant, 17 lb of food grade products, plastics/polymers, and such comes out the other end. Once a bushel of corn goes into the plant it is not lost to anything else.

Corn is rock bottom cheap now. Based on price in mid year 1995 for a bushel of corn, about $3 a bushel, if the pricing had kept up with inflation, the per bushel price would be $4.78. But the trading price as of today in hovering around $3.25 at my local grain cooperative. So corn is technically cheaper than it was in 1995. Thus, there is no scarcity in corn for food or any other purpose.

That energy to make ethanol thing is skewed. It is not a gallon per gallon equation. It is actually 1 BTU of energy to make 1.25 BTU of ethanol. There is a net gain. And that energy input is from all sources of energy used in the process..... diesel, natural gas, propane, etc. It is not 1 BTU of diesel to make 1.25 BTU of ethanol.

If folks would just do a little research and not rely on articles with biases in them, they might actually know what they are talking about.

Now I will concur somewhat, that ethanol is not the best way to go about this. Taking ethanol production one more step and making Butanol from the same feed stock and ethanol plant processing would be a better fuel for a broad range of applications. Until there is a real demand for using Butanol over ethanol, there is going to be no motivation for the ethanol producers to invest in the upgrades to make Butanol from their ethanol. Maybe folks that have such a fit over ethanol should direct some of that ire towards the hired help at their state capitols and D.C. to convince them to make the business climate more favorable to producing butanol over ethanol. I regularly write my hired help and advocate for this. But I am just one voice. It takes a lot of us doing it to have any effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back