New to Subaru's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, after having three toyotas in a row I have left them and purchased a new 2017 Subaru Impreza, since I'm new to subaru and there boxter style engines I was just wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for me. This car is used for commuting to work 66 miles a day about 75 percent highway and the rest normal city driving and normal store trips and weekend getaways. Thanks and if you have any questions feel free to ask, thanks.

Doesn't matter if it's AWD, you should use snow tires in winter.

Oh wait... Florida. Nevermind.
wink.gif

Not that I've paid too much attention to Subaru but I don't recall anything special required for them. I'd read the owners manual, find out what services are required when. Most likely you'll need a cabin filter once/year (maybe twice if it's a heavy pollen area). Otherwise, standard stuff, tire rotations, oil changes, etc.

Enjoy the new car!

I figured it will be nice to have all wheel drive in are daily afternoon showers in the summertime

Just be aware of the importance of evenly worn tires front-back on AWD... on some AWDs, uneven front-back tires can get the center diff 'working' all the time and wear it out.

After you've driven it a while it'd be nice if you'd give us a report on how you like it. Being bitoggers our car reviews can be be a little different from the main stream stuff if you know what I mean.....

Will do, so far so good and the dealership has given me free oil changes for life but for a oil freak like me it makes me worry since subaru says it requires synthetic 0w 20

It seems like the 2.0l in the new Impreza is not nearly as prone to oil consumption as some of the older 2.5l engines, but it is direct injection and carbon buildup on the intake valves might be a concern. In my FXT with the 2.0l turbo, I was not able to spray GDI intake cleaner past the MAF sensor without fouling it to some degree, necessitating a hose down for that sensor, but the physical configuration of my daughter's 2015 Impreza looks much more amenable to that type of cleaning.

Thanks for the advice I will keep an eye on that, and also I love the oil filter placement

Last edited:
Congrats on the new ride. How reliable are these boxter engines? Is it mated to a CVT or manual?

Boxer, not boxter.

It is direct-injection.

I would not necessarily buy a Subaru in a southern state, but AWD isn't only a bonus for snowy climes. I'm a Subaru fanboi and it would be hard to justify a Subie in FL for me. Not many mountains around for weekend trips :p

It is a direct injection engine, I never thought about the beach might have to go to the east coast wear they still let you drive on some of the beaches, also it's a cvt transmission I think that's how there getting 38 mpg out of these cars

I have always like the Impreza so AWD isn't the main reason I bought one, if gas mileage wasent a concern I would have got a sti

Originally Posted By: kevco
It is a direct injection engine, I never thought about the beach might have to go to the east coast wear they still let you drive on some of the beaches, also it's a cvt transmission I think that's how there getting 38 mpg out of these cars

I wouldn't take the Impreza to far on to the beach with stock tires; you'll most likely get stuck.

Originally Posted By: kevco
I have always like the Impreza so AWD isn't the main reason I bought one, if gas mileage wasent a concern I would have got a sti

Gas mileage and the additional $15-20k...

Best of Luck with your new Subaru. A 1995 Subaru Legacy LS was the only new car I ever purchased.

Back then there was a fuse socket in the engine bay which bore the letters AWD. You inserted a fuse into it to disable the AWD function.

See if you have that.

Get a bag of the folded style crush washer used on the oil drain.

All in all I did not care for the Subaru experience. I learned to drive in snow.

I slow down when it rains and snows so the AWD (which worked just fine) was something I did not need.

I sold it with 138,000 miles. All told, I got 25.25 mpg. For the weak, shallow stroked 2.5l engine I was sorely disappointed.

I must say that engine was a smoothy.

As I recall, the annuated 1.7l was retrofitted to the 2.2l which leaked. My 2.5l was pretty darn smooth and leak free. Kira

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

I wouldn't take the Impreza to far on to the beach with stock tires; you'll most likely get stuck.

You could lift it up and throw some Yokohama Geolandar ATs in a 215/65-16 to make it through the sand
cool.gif

As for the Subaru, I think they fixed the FB series engine's thirst for oil. Just make sure you rotate your tires every 5-7K, have reasonable OCIs and change out the tranny fluid every 30K(wouldn't hurt to service the front and rear diffs as well then) and it'll treat you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back