Manual Regen - Exhaust Tip Temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just something I thought a few here may find interesting...

Did a manual regen on the truck last night, and grabbed the TIC (thermal imaging camera) to take a look; this is pointed right at the tip, and is measuring EGT as it exits the pipe.

That's at least 1200°F:

YFq4uKG.jpg

Since modern diesel engines require at least 600C (1112F) to even initiate regen, that does not surprise me one bit. I would be worried if you see temps over 800C (1472F) though, as that usually means you are in a run away condition and your diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC) is toast!

edited because I fat fingered a number.

Last edited:
Oh, yeah...I know it has to hit some absurd temps. I was just really surprised to see it was that high (over 1200°F - maxing out the TIC) actually exiting the pipe!

Haha. I would like to see you measure the temperature of Rotary exhaust! It is pretty commonly "known" to be 1600+degrees and that it melts glass packs!

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
Haha. I would like to see you measure the temperature of Rotary exhaust! It is pretty commonly "known" to be 1600+degrees and that it melts glass packs!

"With rotary engines the exhaust gas temperature is very high - approximately 1,700° -2,000°F at full throttle and high RPM for a 1971-95 peripheral exhaust port engine or about 1600°F for a Renesis (RX-8) side exhaust port engine, as compared to 1,100°-1,400°F for a four-stroke reciprocating engine."
http://www.racingbeat.com/mazda/performance/rotary-tech-tips/rotary-exhaust.html

Again...the temperature I'm measuring is as it's exiting the tip/leaving the vehicle when parked; this is completely different than what you're referring to.

And on top of that the exhaust gas makes me sick and gives me a massive headache.

Not sure what is different. Love the smell of older diesel exhaust.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: mazdamonky

"With rotary engines the exhaust gas temperature is very high - approximately 1,700° -2,000°F at full throttle and high RPM for a 1971-95 peripheral exhaust port engine or about 1600°F for a Renesis (RX-8) side exhaust port engine, as compared to 1,100°-1,400°F for a four-stroke reciprocating engine."
http://www.racingbeat.com/mazda/performance/rotary-tech-tips/rotary-exhaust.html

Again...the temperature I'm measuring is as it's exiting the tip/leaving the vehicle when parked; this is completely different than what you're referring to.

I understand you are measuring at the tailpipe, but that still leaves me curious how hot the exhaust is at the tailpipe. More so, as to how much heat it is holding or how much it is cooling down on its trip through the exhaust!

This is why you see a lot of trucks have a combiner in the tailpipe to allow the exiting gas to be mixed with ambient air in the exhaust tip.

Otherwise, somebody could get hurt.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
This is why you see a lot of trucks have a combiner in the tailpipe to allow the exiting gas to be mixed with ambient air in the exhaust tip.

Otherwise, somebody could get hurt.

Always wanted a Bazooka exhaust like on the Dmax's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back